Cannonball?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by sweetandsour »

sweetandsour wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:58
Hugo Drax wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:26
sweetandsour wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:20

This is the best explanation I've seen so far. In my short 4-yr experience working at a cement manufacturing plant (Alpha Portland Cement Co.), I don't recall seeing a crushing/grinding ball that large (5" dia.), but of course my experience is limited, and it was many years ago. I read somewhere about mortar rounds with indentations so that they could easily be picked up with tongs, as well as to facilitate stacking. But I agree with you, and like I said earlier, it's the round protrusion that's a mystery to me. It's likely a discarded crushing ball that didn't get used. Why and how my cousin came by it, I'll never know.
I think Fred hit the nail on the head. It's not hollow, is it?
No, it's not hollow. It weighs 16 lbs, per our bathroom scales.
Here's a closer pic of the protrusion; if you can make it out, it almost looks like it has a tail, like the shape of a comma. Also, the spot that I thought was just discoloration looks like dried epoxy, as though there was a hole that got filled in. One thing for sure, I ain't gonna be digging on it to see if it's a hole.
IMG_20221018_100341405.jpg
IMG_20221018_100341405.jpg (6.61 MiB) Viewed 512 times
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Cannonball?

Post by FredS »

sweetandsour wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:20 In my short 4-yr experience working at a cement manufacturing plant (Alpha Portland Cement Co.), I don't recall seeing a crushing/grinding ball that large (5" dia.), but of course my experience is limited, and it was many years ago.
We integrate ball mills in some of our systems and I've never seen one that large either. But this is for breaking ore in to gravel - the larger the ball, the larger the spaces between balls, the larger the broken down particles.

The big black cylinder being set in this photo is a ball mill we installed in Canada two years ago. It mills fly ash and bottom ash from a coal-fired power plant into fine powder that can be used for concrete or roadbed stabilization.

If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by sweetandsour »

FredS wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 09:46
sweetandsour wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:20 In my short 4-yr experience working at a cement manufacturing plant (Alpha Portland Cement Co.), I don't recall seeing a crushing/grinding ball that large (5" dia.), but of course my experience is limited, and it was many years ago.
We integrate ball mills in some of our systems and I've never seen one that large either. But this is for breaking ore in to gravel - the larger the ball, the larger the spaces between balls, the larger the broken down particles.

The big black cylinder being set in this photo is a ball mill we installed in Canada two years ago. It mills fly ash and bottom ash from a coal-fired power plant into fine powder that can be used for concrete or roadbed stabilization.

Pretty much every large ball mill I ever saw had what appeared to be large spikes on the drum, sort of steampunk or Mad Max style. I presume they are actually mounting bolts for the interior baffles.

But, anyway, I think I'm going to call this thing a 19th century 18 lb mortar round, and just go with it.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Cannonball?

Post by ChildOfGod »

That could be my left.... well... no... mine was a little heavier.
Wishing you God's very best!
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Cannonball?

Post by FredS »

sweetandsour wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 10:12 But, anyway, I think I'm going to call this thing a 19th century 18 lb mortar round, and just go with it.
I call Snickers bars "protein energy bars" so I'm in no position to judge.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Cannonball?

Post by Hugo Drax »

sweetandsour wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:20

This is the best explanation I've seen so far. In my short 4-yr experience working at a cement manufacturing plant (Alpha Portland Cement Co.), I don't recall seeing a crushing/grinding ball that large (5" dia.), but of course my experience is limited, and it was many years ago. I read somewhere about mortar rounds with indentations so that they could easily be picked up with tongs, as well as to facilitate stacking. But I agree with you, and like I said earlier, it's the round protrusion that's a mystery to me. It's likely a discarded crushing ball that didn't get used. Why and how my cousin came by it, I'll never know.
Then not a mortar round. I was thinking that protrusion could have been where the plug was placed on an incendiary mortar that when "phut" instead of "kapow."

I'm voting with Fred on this one.
Weenies are us.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Cannonball?

Post by Bloodhound »

Hugo Drax wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:43

Then not a mortar round. I was thinking that protrusion could have been where the plug was placed on an incendiary mortar that when "phut" instead of "kapow."

Me too...its a "protein energy bar" Oh wait...I saw Snickers and forgot what we were talking about....

I want it to be a civil war mortar round/cannon ball...so in my mind it is
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Cannonball?

Post by JimVH »

Bloodhound wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 13:15
Hugo Drax wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 12:43

Me too...its a "protein energy bar" Oh wait...I saw Snickers and forgot what we were talking about....

I want it to be a civil war mortar round/cannon ball...so in my mind it is
I was hoping it came from a Texas independence cannon.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by Jocose »

The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Cannonball?

Post by coco »

I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.