Jesus had a grandson?

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Jesus had a grandson?

Post by Hovannes »

What the ...?
I picked up Ecclesiastes last night (Knox's translation) and found this puzzling.
Could one of you Bible scholars please unpack this for me?
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Jesus had a grandson?

Post by coco »

What?

Please give us a chapter and verse.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Jesus had a grandson?

Post by Hovannes »

It's in the Preface, The Book of Ecclesiasticus from the Latin Vulgate in the light of the hebrew & Greek translated by Knox.

"No wonder if my own grandfather, Jesus, who had devoted himself to the careful study of the law, the prophets, and our other ancestral records
had a mind to put something down in writing himself that should bear on this philosophical tradition, to claim the attention of eager students who had already mastered it, and to encourage their observance of the law."

Jesus had a grandson? Jesus wrote?
I'm confused :-?
Del
Usher
Usher

Jesus had a grandson?

Post by Del »

You mentioned "Ecclesiates" in the first post, but this is actually "Ecclesiasticus" -- also known as "Wisdom of Sirach." It is not included in the skinny Bibles our Evangelical brothers read, so I hope that I am not spoiling your prank.

"Jesus" is one of the variations of "Joshua," a very common set of names among the Israelites and Christians to this day.

Lots of guys named "Jesus" had lots of grandsons. One of them was a wise rabbi, and one of his grandsons compiled his wise sayings, and this work was regarded highly enough by the pre-Christian Jewish leaders to include in the canon of the Septuagint. It was read in the synagogues throughout the world, and regarded as inspired Scripture by our Jesus, His Apostles, St. Paul, and the early Christians.

It is also my wife's favorite Book of all the Books.
Last edited by Del on 30 Oct 2022, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Jesus had a grandson?

Post by Hovannes »

Thanks, Del.
This wasn't a prank, but honest stupidity :oops:
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Jesus had a grandson?

Post by SlowToke »

I think Knox was referring to Jesus Morales, his neighbor in El Paso. That's pronounced Hey-soos. :D
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Jesus had a grandson?

Post by FredS »

SlowToke wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 15:05 I think Knox was referring to Jesus Morales, his neighbor in El Paso. That's pronounced Hey-soos. :D
There's a lot of Hispanics (mostly Mexicans) where I live. Once, on a neighborhood social platform, a mother complained that the school wouldn't allow Jesus in the classroom. That drew plenty of angry responses from MAGA types, until the mother came back around to explain that Jesus was her son and he'd worn a prohibited tee shirt to school that day.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

Jesus had a grandson?

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 06:13
SlowToke wrote: 30 Oct 2022, 15:05 I think Knox was referring to Jesus Morales, his neighbor in El Paso. That's pronounced Hey-soos. :D
There's a lot of Hispanics (mostly Mexicans) where I live. Once, on a neighborhood social platform, a mother complained that the school wouldn't allow Jesus in the classroom. That drew plenty of angry responses from MAGA types, until the mother came back around to explain that Jesus was her son and he'd worn a prohibited tee shirt to school that day.
Was the tee shirt forbidden because it had a picture of Jesus Christ on it? That would be really funny.