Fall crops...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Fall crops...

Post by sweetandsour »

jmg wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 10:32
sweetandsour wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 05:08
jmg wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 17:26 Anybody growing fall/cold weather crops? We've always done a big summer garden, but this is my first time try anything in the fall and/or winter. I really should have done more homework. However, I've currently got the very beginnings of kale, turnips, radishes, and cabbage coming up. We'll see.
I waited a little too late, I thought, to plant seeds. So I bought small already-started plants at a local feed store/nursery, and planted them last week. Mustard, collards, turnips and kale. They're in a raised bed; I'm letting my tilled ground rest this fall, and will turn it over in early spring next year.

Hopefully will have mustard greens ready for Thanksgiving.
I should have built more raised beds and just planted in them. That said, however, I did sew about 10 lbs of crimson clover seed as a cover crop on the area of my garden that isn’t being used…which is about 70% of it.This should put some good nitrogen back in the soil.
Good idea. I've seen plenty of the red clover in spring, but not in fall and winter, but I don't know why it wouldn't be a good fall plant. I wonder if oats or rye grass would do the same thing through the winter. All with be a good deer plot, for sure.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Fall crops...

Post by jmg »

sweetandsour wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 16:38
jmg wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 10:32
sweetandsour wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 05:08

I waited a little too late, I thought, to plant seeds. So I bought small already-started plants at a local feed store/nursery, and planted them last week. Mustard, collards, turnips and kale. They're in a raised bed; I'm letting my tilled ground rest this fall, and will turn it over in early spring next year.

Hopefully will have mustard greens ready for Thanksgiving.
I should have built more raised beds and just planted in them. That said, however, I did sew about 10 lbs of crimson clover seed as a cover crop on the area of my garden that isn’t being used…which is about 70% of it.This should put some good nitrogen back in the soil.
Good idea. I've seen plenty of the red clover in spring, but not in fall and winter, but I don't know why it wouldn't be a good fall plant. I wonder if oats or rye grass would do the same thing through the winter. All with be a good deer plot, for sure.
Rye does really well down here in the winter months. I was advised by a friend of a friend who apparently knows a lot on this subject though to plant the clover for the most nitrogen. And the clover sure is pretty.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Fall crops...

Post by FredS »

Jocose wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 16:24 I thought this was going to be a sinsemilla harvest thread.
I see what you did there.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Fall crops...

Post by Biff »

FredS wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 06:16
Jocose wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 16:24 I thought this was going to be a sinsemilla harvest thread.
I see what you did there.
Are you gonna start Frederating?
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Fall crops...

Post by Bloodhound »

How bout some rye and red winter wheat and then at harvest you could begin the distilling process and whip up some kick butt whiskey :dance:
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Fall crops...

Post by jmg »

Bloodhound wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 10:18 How bout some rye and red winter wheat and then at harvest you could begin the distilling process and whip up some kick butt whiskey :dance:
I sure wish that was a skill I possessed.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Yohanan
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Fall crops...

Post by Yohanan »

I didn't know crops could Fall? how far?
***Smoke What You Like, and Like What You Smoke, No Matter What Anyone Else Thinks!!!***
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Fall crops...

Post by coco »

jmg wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 17:35
Bloodhound wrote: 03 Nov 2022, 10:18 How bout some rye and red winter wheat and then at harvest you could begin the distilling process and whip up some kick butt whiskey :dance:
I sure wish that was a skill I possessed.
One word: YouTube.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Fall crops...

Post by joegoat »

None this year for me. Maybe next year. I just mulched up some leaves and tilled them under to decompose this winter. My garden dirt has lots of clay so I'm working to get more organic matter in it. Gravely power was utilized to pulverize the leaves and then plow them under. "Power vs Drudgery."
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)