The News & Topicality Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Toro

Post by Toro »

I see some positives here, but there are a few mixed feelings as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... law-minors

Utah bans under-18s from using social media unless parents consent

The governor of Utah, Spencer Cox, has signed sweeping social media legislation requiring explicit parental permissions for anyone under 18 to use platforms such as TikTok, Instagram and Facebook. He also signed a bill prohibiting social media companies from employing techniques that could cause minors to develop an “addiction” to the platforms.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

Are we in a war yet?
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

Hovannes wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 06:49 Are we in a war yet?
Yes. Have been for some time.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

Biff wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 10:34
Yes. Have been for some time.
I thought so.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

There a quiet uprising against the woke establishment fascists that is making a bit of progress.
Wosbald
Sunday School Superintendent

The Right to Migrate / Fascism

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: Florida's Voice
Link: flvoicenews DOT com/trump-promises-the-end-of-automatic-citizenship-for-children-of-illegal-migrants/
Trump promises the end of ‘automatic citizenship’ for children of illegal migrants

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (FLV) — Former President Donald Trump promised if he re-takes the White House in 2025, he will sign an executive order stopping the federal government from granting automatic citizenship to those who are children of “illegal aliens.”

He said President Joe Biden launched an “illegal foreign invasion” of the U.S. with “record number of illegal aliens” and slammed the notion that “all of their future children will become automatic U.S. citizens.”

“The United States is among the only countries in the world that says that even if neither parent is a citizen nor even lawfully in the country, their future children are automatic citizens,” he said.

“On day one of my new term in office, I will sign an executive order making clear to federal agencies that under the correct interpretation of the law going forward: the future children of illegal aliens will not receive automatic us citizenship,” the former president continued.

Trump contended that such a federal policy would eliminate the “major incentive” for mass illegal migration.

“They must go back, nobody could afford this, nobody could do this and even morally, it’s so wrong,” Trump said. “We will secure our borders and we will restore our sovereignty.”

[…]

Trump’s campaign promise comes as part of his “Agenda 47,” laid out on his campaign website with a slew of videos outlining his policies if he emerges victorious in 2024.

The former president is widely understood as the Republican frontrunner for the 2024 nomination, the only other perceived viable candidate being Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is campaigning across early primary states this week, beginning in Iowa.

Wosbald

The News & Topicality Thread | Breaking News

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: The Hill
Link: thehill DOT com/homenews/4058376-doj-criminal-probe-into-hunter-biden-resolved-lawyer-says/
DOJ criminal probe into Hunter Biden ‘resolved,’ lawyer says

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

Hunter Biden’s attorney said the criminal probe into the president’s son is now “resolved,” after Hunter Biden and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Delaware reached a plea agreement.

Biden will plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts of willful failure to pay income tax, as part of the plea deal announced Tuesday. If the deal is accepted by a judge, Biden would likely avoid prison time.

The parties also reached an agreement on a third charge related to unlawful possession of a weapon, which Biden is accused of securing while using crack cocaine. He allegedly denied drug use when applying to secure the gun. In the agreement, Biden would enter into a pretrial diversion program that, upon successful completion of the program, would remove the charge from his record.

“With the announcement of two agreements between my client, Hunter Biden, and the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Delaware, it is my understanding that the five-year investigation into Hunter is resolved,” Biden attorney Christopher Clark said in a statement.

“Hunter will take responsibility for two instances of misdemeanor failure to file tax payments when due pursuant to a plea agreement. A firearm charge, which will be subject to a pretrial diversion agreement and will not be the subject of the plea agreement, will also be filed by the Government,” Clark added.

Clark’s claim comes as some House Republicans are already pledging to continue probing the president’s son for what they describe as corruption and “possibly bribery.”

[…]

Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Title: Top Trump Adviser Pushed for Drone Strikes on Migrants, New Book Claims
Source: Rolling Stone
Link: rollingstone DOT com/politics/politics-features/stephen-miller-donald-trump-immigrants-1234778491/

The Money-Quotes:
[Miles] Taylor’s book, Blowback, describes the alleged 2018 conversation in depth. The critical passage reads:

‘Admiral, the military has aerial drones, correct?’ Stephen inquired.

‘Yes,’ Zukunft replied.

‘And some of those drones are equipped with missiles, correct?’

‘Sure,’ the commandant answered, clearly wondering where the line of questioning was going.

‘And when a boat full of migrants is in international waters, they aren’t protected by the U.S. Constitution, right?’

‘Technically, no, but I’m not sure what you’re getting at.’

‘Tell me why, then, can’t we use a Predator drone to obliterate that boat?’

Admiral Zukunft looked nonplussed. ‘Because, Stephen, it would be against international law.’
According to the book, Miller begins arguing with Zukunft:

[The] United States launched airstrikes on terrorists in disputed areas all the time, Miller said, or retaliated against pirates commandeering ships off the coast of Somalia. The Coast Guard chief calmly explained the difference. America attacked enemy forces when they were armed and posed an imminent threat. Seafaring migrants were generally unarmed civilians. They quarreled for a few minutes. Stephen wasn’t interested in the moral conflict of drone-bombing migrants. He wanted to know whether anyone could stop America from doing it.
The book continues:

‘Admiral,’ [Miller] said to the military chief nearly thirty years his senior, ‘I don’t think you understand the limitations of international law.’
Miller’s stance on immigration and human rights remains deeply relevant. Trump is the frontrunner for the 2024 GOP nomination, and multiple people intimately familiar with the matter say that Miller, along with other anti-immigration hardliners of his stripe, are still on the shortlist for administration posts should the twice-impeached, twice-indicted former president retake the White House. Trump himself is campaigning on promises to run on more extreme anti-immigrant policies than his first term’s, including proposals for attacking or invading Mexico and reviving and expanding his travel “Muslim ban.”

[…]

Rolling Stone has reviewed written documentation from during the Trump administration that supports Taylor's claim. Taylor's account, however, is contested, both by Miller and by another person present.

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 09:41 +JMJ+

Title: Top Trump Adviser Pushed for Drone Strikes on Migrants, New Book Claims
I have no comment regarding whether or not this claim is true. Maybe it is, although it doesn't seem likely.

But if it is true, then this one Republican would be as evil as every last Democrat who supports abortion with full-throated vigor. Civilized people do not kill innocent, defenseless people -- even if they are about to commit a non-violent crime like entering our country illegally.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

I'm not sure which of wosbald's "Illegal Immigration" threads deserves this mention, so I'll post it here.

Biden’s Feds Cut Through Razor Wire Placed By Texas Authorities To Let Illegals Into U.S.

I recall similar stories concerning Texas National Guard standing at closed gates on private property.... only to be relieved by Border Patrol, who open the gates.

While this looks terrible, it could be part of an orderly process by which Border Patrol takes migrants into custody and sees that they are processed and cared for.

Except that under Biden, they aren't being cared for. Just handed a ticket ordering them to present themselves to an Immigration Court someday, wherever they end up, however they get there.

Desperate families are left homeless and destitute. Meanwhile, fentanyl and terrorists stream across the border sieve. I pity the fools who call this "justice for the poor."