The News & Topicality Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Right to Migrate / Fascism

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: Crux
Link: cruxnow DOT com/church-in-the-usa/2024/02/bishop-says-border-security-cant-come-at-the-expense-of-humanity-fairness
Bishop says border security can’t come at the expense of humanity, fairness

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

NEW YORK — Commenting on a recently unveiled bipartisan border security proposal, the U.S. Bishops’ Migration Chair has told lawmakers that the “right and responsibility” to manage the border should not come at the expense of humanitarian protection.

“The legitimate interests of the state to regulate immigration and to safeguard the wellbeing of the existing population should not be carried out in such a way that concern for the lives of newcomers is set aside and vice versa,” Bishop Mark Seitz of El Paso, wrote in a Feb. 6 letter.

The letter is addressed to Senators Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell, the majority and minority leaders respectively. House Speaker Mike Johnson, Minority Leader Representative Hakeem Jeffries and all U.S. Senators were copied on the text.

While the bill was only introduced in the Senate and not voted on, Johnson has already made it clear House Republicans don’t approve of the proposed border measures — essentially calling them ineffective — and made clear the bill would be “dead on arrival” in the House.

[…]

For different reasons than Johnson, Seitz urged Senators to reject the immigration reforms in the bill that he argues “restrict access to asylum, curtail due process for noncitizens, and create authorities inconsistent with the United States’ obligations under international law.”

“Rather than sustainably reducing migration to the U.S.–Mexico border, consistent with the common good and the good-faith intentions of many lawmakers, several changes proposed in this bill would unjustly undermine due process and pave the way for avoidable and potentially life-threatening harm to be inflicted on vulnerable persons seeking humanitarian protections in the United States,” Seitz wrote.

“As shepherds committed to defending the sanctity of life and upholding the God-given dignity of all, we implore you to reject those changes,” Seitz continued.

Most notably, the bill, unveiled Feb. 4, gives the Homeland Security Secretary — currently Alejandro Mayorkas — a border emergency authority, which would allow him to close the border if certain thresholds are met. The secretary would be empowered to “summarily remove from and prohibit, in whole or in part, entry into the United States of any alien … who is subject to such authority.”

However, the power ultimately lies with the president, who has the authority to suspend the secretary’s border emergency authority powers if he decides it is in the national interest to do so.

According to the bill’s text, the secretary can activate the border emergency authority if, during a period of seven consecutive calendar days, there is an average of 4,000 or more migrants who are encountered each day. Conversely, the secretary must activate the border emergency authority if during a period of seven consecutive calendar days, there is an average of 5,000 or more migrants each day; or if, on any one calendar day, a combined total of 8,500 or more migrants are encountered.

There are limitations to the authority. The bill’s text states after its passage the secretary can only activate their emergency border authority for 270 calendar days in the first year, 225 calendar days in the second year, and 180 calendar days in the third year, all unless certain thresholds are met.

Further, the text states that when the emergency authority is activated the secretary shall maintain the capacity to process, and continue processing a minimum of 1,400 migrants each calendar day cumulatively across all southwest land border ports of entry.

Seitz argues that this provision creates the opportunity for “harmful, arbitrary, and counterproductive treatment of vulnerable persons” who enter the country via the southern border.

Another provision in the bill is an expedited asylum adjudication process for migrants who enter the country illegally — cutting the wait period from what is typically years to months, and to the “maximum extent possible” within 90 days. Seitz argues in the letter that these provisions are “severely limiting due process and access to asylum” for migrants.

Finally, the bill also heightens the credible fear of torture standard for migrants, which Seitz argues makes “it even more difficult … for those with bona fide claims to pursue relief in the United States.”

Combined, Seitz argues the provisions would be ineffective at curbing migration.

“Such measures target the symptoms of underlying challenges through an ineffective deterrence-centered approach instead of addressing the challenges themselves,” Seitz explained. “We reiterate that attempting to resolve complex migration-related challenges that have festered for decades in the time-sensitive context of an emergency funding bill is not conducive to prudent policymaking.”

“Moreover, the provisions prompting our concern would not reduce irregular migration, especially when it is the result of desperation,” Seitz continued. “Rather, they would have the unintended consequence of further empowering smugglers, traffickers, gangs, and other bad actors who seek to exploit vulnerable persons, most often women and children.”

The bill, H.R. 815, in which the provisions are included, is the Senate’s version of the Emergency National Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2024. The $118 billion package also includes aid funding to Israel, Ukraine, and Taiwan.

One thing Seitz did applaud was the bipartisan effort that went into drafting the legislation.

“We will always commend good-faith bipartisan cooperation to address the challenges confronting our nation, and we cannot achieve the necessary reform of our immigration system without authentic bipartisanship,” Seitz said. “A transparent, well-informed, bicameral, and truly bipartisan approach is urgently needed, and my brother bishops and I remain committed to help you achieve it.”

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

ChildOfGod wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 10:20
Jocose wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 22:50
ChildOfGod wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 14:07

Is that fact-checked-true? I don't know anything about the details - wondering if that's a stone cold fact in the bill or bull propagated by talk shows?
Are you serious?
I was quite serious. I didn't know any particular details of the actual bill. I'd seen and heard a lot of what seemed to be guesses and/or hearsay. Last night I saw the numbers for myself on a reliable news source, not a talk show posing as news.

It really strikes me as odd that Republicans were OK with that number (5K/day) and were going to sign this (let alone had worked on it themselves), but that seems to have been the case.
That struck my as odd, also. Senate Republicans seemed to be negotiating for something -- anything -- that Biden would sign.... without caring too much about whether the result would actually secure anything. "Just get something passed" seemed to be the goal.

House Republicans don't want to pass a do-nothing bill. They want to accomplish border security.

Old Mitch walked himself back. "The politics have 'changed.' "

McConnell Says Border Security Talks Face ‘Quandary’ As The Politics ‘Have Changed’: Report

Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

ChildOfGod wrote: 07 Feb 2024, 10:20
Jocose wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 22:50
ChildOfGod wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 14:07

Is that fact-checked-true? I don't know anything about the details - wondering if that's a stone cold fact in the bill or bull propagated by talk shows?
Are you serious?
I was quite serious. I didn't know any particular details of the actual bill. I'd seen and heard a lot of what seemed to be guesses and/or hearsay. Last night I saw the numbers for myself on a reliable news source, not a talk show posing as news.

It really strikes me as odd that Republicans were OK with that number (5K/day) and were going to sign this (let alone had worked on it themselves), but that seems to have been the case.
“Reliable” news sources are very far and few between these days!
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Border Patrol Chief Breaks Down Border Bill, Declares Border Has Never Been Secure Over Last 3 Decades
“The mission of the Border Patrol is not to process asylum seekers — we are dealing with this migrant influx that really should be applying for entry into the country through an established port of entry,” he said. “And when they don’t do that, what it does is number one, it puts them in danger because it puts them in the hands of smugglers and cartels who extort from them, they exploit them on a very dangerous, dangerous journey. The other thing that it does is it pulls us off of task. While we’re busy doing this, the cartels are taking full advantage of it somewhere else along the border to bring in who knows what and who knows who. These are the types of things like fentanyl, like other hard narcotics, hardened criminals, that do represent a danger to our community.”
The insecure border has put millions of migrants into the hands of cartel traffickers. Women and children are especially vulnerable to sexual assaults and slavery. Plus the cartels use the mass of vulnerable migrants as cover and distractions to Border Patrol, thus allowing fentanyl, criminals and terrorists to cross the border in large volume.

Not my opinion: This is the head of Border Patrol saying so.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: National Catholic Reporter / OSV News
Link: ncronline DOT org/news/catholic-immigration-advocates-express-concern-about-senates-proposed-border-deal
Catholic immigration advocates express concern about Senate's proposed border deal

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Washington — Key Senate negotiators Feb. 4 released an approximately $118 billion emergency national security bill that would send a fresh wave of aid to Ukraine as that nation fends off Russia's invasion and would implement strict new migration policies for the U.S.–Mexico border.

Catholic migration advocates expressed concern about the implications of the proposed legislation for those seeking asylum. J. Kevin Appleby, senior fellow for policy at the Center for Migration Studies of New York and the former director of migration policy for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, told OSV News the border agreement would severely weaken access to asylum in the U.S., "while also expanding deportation powers with little or no due process protections."

"That is a dangerous combination which would send bona fide asylum-seekers back to their persecutors," Appleby said. "While the plan does include a couple of positive measures to entice Democratic votes, such as the creation of temporary legal avenues for families and help for Afghans, they do not justify supporting permanent and harmful changes to the U.S. asylum system."

Dylan Corbett, executive director of the Hope Border Institute, a group that works to apply the perspective of Catholic social teaching in policy and practice to the U.S.–Mexico border region, told OSV News that "this bill is an example of how the politicization of the border has made any progress on immigration nearly impossible."

"Pivoting to a hardline enforcement posture by both parties is a dead-end strategy, driven more by politics than anything else," Corbett said. "While there are some positive elements, what the bill proposes just won't work. We've tried wall building and tougher enforcement over and over again for years, and they've all proven ineffective when there are not sufficient legal pathways for those in need.

"Inexplicably, there is next to nothing in the bill for legal migration, including for Dreamers, which is desperately needed. And it would make life for many vulnerable migrants and asylum-seekers even more heart-wrenchingly difficult."

In addition to providing military and humanitarian assistance to Israel and Ukraine, the bill would essentially close the border if officials reported counts of unauthorized crossings exceeding a seven-day average of 5,000 or 8,500 on any given day. It also would grant the president power to close the border if such crossings reached an average of 4,000 per day within a week. It also would raise the threshold for migrants to claim asylum by requiring additional proof of credible fear in their home countries.

[…]

Appleby said if the proposal dies, "hopefully it will clear the way for a future Congress to return to immigration legislation which reforms the entire broken system."

"Comprehensive reform is the best way to humanely manage the border and to uphold American values as an immigrant nation," he said.

Corbett said while the bill "may be dead on arrival, this should be a wake-up call" for "the Catholic Church, our leadership, and the entire faith community in the United States."

"We need to do a much better job articulating a compelling moral vision for welcoming migrants and pushing for change," he said. "Our compassion can be prophetic and our Gospel hope can break the logjam and malaise that are keeping us from real reform. It's clearer than ever that we can't rely on politicians alone to get the job done."

Schumer indicated the Senate will start voting on the legislation Feb. 7.

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Fascinating news cycle this week, with the Special Investigator report regarding Biden's possession and mishandling of highly classified information and documents.

But the real story is the Investigator's conclusion that Biden should not be charged with a crime because no jury would convict a sympathetic old grandpa with failing memory -- citing numerous examples of said memory failures.

But the REAL story is the reaction of Biden and White House to those official citations of dementia.... such as holding a rare, impromptu press conference to refute the Investigation Report, at which Biden grouched, snapped, gaffed, slipped up, and generally presented himself as a cranky old man with failing memory and dementia.

But THE REAL STORY is that the normally sycophantic press media seem to have gotten a memo allowing them to openly and honestly criticize Joe Biden for the obvious things.

CNN: Biden tries to lay to rest age concerns, but may have exacerbated them

Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Title: Why isn’t the Biden administration suing Texas for taking over the job of Border Patrol?
Source: NBC News
Link: nbcnews DOT com/politics/immigration/biden-administration-lawsuit-texas-abbott-border-patrol-rcna137565

The Money-Quote:
[T]hree Biden administration officials told NBC News [the Biden Admin does] not want a confrontation between Border Patrol and Texas National Guard, but they still consider legal action a tool they might deploy. Shortly after Texas started blocking the Border Patrol from accessing Shelby Park, a mother and two children drowned while crossing the Rio Grande. The officials say they might have been saved if Border Patrol had been able to operate its equipment to surveil the river and respond to migrants in distress.

For now, however, optics mean the administration is holding fire, said a former Department of Homeland Security official. The official said that between the fight to pass a border bill, defend Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas in an impeachment fight, and other lawsuits challenging Texas, taking on the Republican-led state would ignite another fire at a time when the administration wants to appear tougher on border security.

Tom Warrick, director of the Future of DHS project at the Atlantic Council, put it another way.

“I think that the federal government is watching this closely to see what Texas does to expand its authority, but at this point it’s a tactical decision,” Warrick said. “If Texas expands its authority, that would probably provoke a (legal) response. They want to wait until they have a rock-solid case.”

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 14:35 +JMJ+

Title: Why isn’t the Biden administration suing Texas for taking over the job of Border Patrol?
Source: NBC News
Link: nbcnews DOT com/politics/immigration/biden-administration-lawsuit-texas-abbott-border-patrol-rcna137565

The Money-Quote:
[T]hree Biden administration officials told NBC News [the Biden Admin does] not want a confrontation between Border Patrol and Texas National Guard, but they still consider legal action a tool they might deploy. Shortly after Texas started blocking the Border Patrol from accessing Shelby Park, a mother and two children drowned while crossing the Rio Grande. The officials say they might have been saved if Border Patrol had been able to operate its equipment to surveil the river and respond to migrants in distress.
This is a bit hard to believe.

Biden Admin tried to blame Texas for the deaths of the swimming migrants. Biden insisted that Texas Guard refused to let Border Patrol rescue the migrants.... but it quickly came out that Border Patrol were the first to know about the deaths, and they informed Texas an hour later.

Now they are trying to tell us that Texas is not allowing Border Patrol to surveil the border? Is the Texas Guard shooting down Border Patrol drones, or something?

I'll wait for some real journalists to follow up on this claim before I believe anything. This version doesn't pass the smell test.

It seems more likely that Border Patrol was ordered to ignore the stretch of Border that Texas Guard is watching, perhaps because Biden Admin wants another tragedy that he can blame solely on Texas. There's no other reason to even bring this one up again, after Biden was already caught in a bald-faced lie.

The main reason Biden wants his Border Patrol to stay out of the way of the Texas Guard is easy to explain: Biden is suffering from the terrible optics of Border Patrol cutting open barriers put up by Texas and allowing migrants to stream through, instead of passing through legal ports of entry. That made Biden look really bad and hurt his campaign.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Right to Migrate

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: Crux
Link: cruxnow DOT com/church-in-the-usa/2024/02/new-anti-trafficking-bill-will-not-only-help-u-s-supporters-claim
New anti-trafficking bill will not only help U.S., supporters claim

NEW YORK — An organization with Catholic roots says a new human trafficking prevention bill passed by the House could have a far reaching impact in the United States and abroad.

On Feb. 13, the House passed H.R. 5856, the Frederick Douglass Trafficking Victims Prevention and Protection Reauthorization Act of 2023 in a 414–11 vote, paving the way for community education programs, enhanced preventive measures, and reintegration programs for survivors.

Katie Boller Gosewisch, the executive director of the Alliance to End Human Trafficking — an organization founded by American Catholic sisters in 2013 that supports survivors and advocates for the eradication of human trafficking — said the organization is “thrilled” by the bill’s passage.

“The [bill] does a lot for migrants, and all sorts of people across the globe and country in hopes to prevent human trafficking in the first place,” Gosewisch told Crux Feb. 15. “There are many different aspects of this bill that are very important.”

If the bill clears its next hurdle and gets passed by the Senate, it would allocate roughly $1 billion dollars over the next five years to prevent and address human trafficking. Part of that money would go towards the “Frederick Douglass Human Trafficking Prevention Grants” for education and training on signs of human trafficking in local communities.

The bill would also allow the Secretary of Health and Human Services to create a Human Trafficking Survivors Employment and Education Program to assist survivors with integrating or re-integrating in society through different programs including social services support, housing, employment, education, legal assistance, and victim compensation.

To address issues abroad, the bill would encourage the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to incorporate counter-trafficking measures — things like monitoring and training — in their programs. Specifically, in programs related to economic development, education, democracy and governance, food security, and humanitarian assistance.

Further, the bill would establish standards that foreign countries need to be in compliance with in order to receive certain types of funding from the United States.

For the Alliance to End Human Trafficking, the bill’s provisions pertaining to other countries are especially important. The organization has an ongoing project looking into the intersection between human trafficking and forced migration. The bill’s passage was the organization’s first priority.

“We want to make sure that that aid is going to countries that are promoting good safe environments for their citizens, and then also providing aid so that there’s more income stability, people are able to feed their families, and people are feeling safe,” Gosewisch said. “Promoting programs in countries to help the residents there so that they do feel like they can safely stay in their home country.”

[…]

Gosewisch said she hopes that won’t be the case this time around.

“What we have as Christian people is hope,” she said. “It’s anti-trafficking work and it did pass the House so overwhelmingly and it did have some really good bipartisan support, and so when you have that I think the hope kind of grows.”

“Yes, it may have stalled in the past, but my hope is that it does get through the Senate and that it’s law by summer. That’s my hope,” Gosewisch continued. “I really feel good about it this time.”

Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

Why are Chinese migrants the fastest growing group entering America illegally? 🤨

This needs to be looked at very carefully. Something seems very suspicious about this.

The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.