The News & Topicality Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Right to Migrate / Fascism | Breaking News

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Title: Supreme Court extends temporary hold on Texas immigration law
Source: NBC News
Link: nbcnews DOT com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-extends-temporary-hold-texas-immigration-law-rcna143959

The Money-Quote:
The Supreme Court on Monday extended a temporary block on a new Texas immigration law [i.e. SB4] that is being challenged by the Biden administration.

In an order issued by conservative Justice Samuel Alito, the court again imposed a temporary freeze on a lower court decision. The court said the law would remain on hold "pending further order" of the court.

The law was originally due to go into effect on March 10, but Alito has now stepped in on three occasions to ensure the lower court ruling remains on hold.

His most recent order was due to expire on Monday evening, meaning the law would have gone into effect absent Supreme Court action.

The ruling is now blocked indefinitely, giving all nine justices additional time to determine what next steps to take.
Last edited by Wosbald on 19 Mar 2024, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Antisemitism / Fascism

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Title: Trump says Jews who vote for Democrats ‘hate Israel’ and their religion
Source: AP News
Link: apnews DOT com/article/trump-schumer-israel-jewish-democrats-35bd1522edd64caf1dedbb10fddf0fcf

The Money-Quotes:
Former President Donald Trump on Monday charged that Jews who vote for Democrats “hate Israel” and hate “their religion,” igniting a firestorm of criticism from the White House and Jewish leaders.

[…]

“I actually think they hate Israel,” Trump responded to his former aide, Sebastian Gorka. “I think they hate Israel. And the Democrat party hates Israel.”

Trump, who last week became the Republican Party’s presumptive nominee, went on to charge: “Any Jewish person that votes for Democrats hates their religion. They hate everything about Israel and they should be ashamed of themselves because Israel will be destroyed.”

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

SCOTUS Rejects Biden Admin’s Emergency Appeal, Says Texas Can Enforce Immigration Law
Texas can enforce a law allowing state authorities to arrest immigrants suspected of crossing the border illegally, the Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday, another development in the complicated battle between the Republican-led state and the Biden administration.

The high court voted 6-3 to reject the Biden administration’s emergency request for a stay on the Texas law while litigation continues in lower courts, NBC News reported. All six conservative justices voted to reject the administration’s request, while the three liberal justices dissented.
The Supreme Court ruling comes just a day after the court extended an administrative stay on Texas’ immigration law while considering the Biden administration’s emergency appeal. The majority did not provide the reasoning behind its decision, as is the case with most emergency applications, CNN reported.

Senate Bill 4, signed into law by Republican Governor Greg Abbott in December, has gone through a rollercoaster court battle in recent weeks. SB 4 was initially blocked by a federal judge before a federal appeals court reversed the judge’s decision and allowed the law to go into effect. However, the Supreme Court stepped in earlier this month — first extending a stay on the law’s implementation before ruling Tuesday that the law can go into effect.

SB 4 allows state officials to arrest and jail immigrants suspected of entering the U.S. unlawfully and also grants state judges the power to order deportations. The law drew harsh criticism from the Biden administration, which cited the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution, arguing that the Texas law interferes with federal immigration law.
Going forward, Texas can enforce border security while Biden's legal challenges work through the courts.

Paradoxically, this could benefit Biden -- politically speaking. Illegal immigration is the #1 concern on voters' minds (if you believe the polls).

If Texas can significantly deter illegal immigration soon enough, voters may turn their attention to issues that favor Biden. (Biden is betting heavily that we all want more abortion.) Meanwhile, he can appease his radical base by blaming Texas Republicans for any decrease in lawlessness, crime, poverty and slavery.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

The legal ping-pong continues....

Federal Appeals Court Places Texas Immigration Law On Hold Again After SCOTUS Allowed It To Take Effect

This is still an administrative place-holder as the 5th Circuit prepares to hear the case.
In a 2-1 decision, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals issued an order that stops Texas Senate Bill 4 from going into effect as the court hears the case brought by the Biden administration, along with the ACLU and other groups, that oppose the immigration law, Fox News reported. The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals will hear arguments on the case on Wednesday.
This case is not about the merits of immigration or illegal immigration. This case is about whether enforcement regarding illegal immigration is solely the job of the Executive Branch, or if States can share this responsibility.

Biden insists that he can make up and/or ignore any law if he wants to, and no one can stop him.... as with every autocratic despot.

On the other hand, 5th Circuit is saying that Texas cannot start helping Biden with a face-saving way to save his campaign for re-election.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Right to Migrate / Fascism

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

NOTE: With props to Del for his above-posted reportage on the Appeals Court Block, the following article adds a bit more to the mix:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Title: Appeals court blocks Texas from enforcing immigration laws hours after Supreme Court gave the go-ahead
Source: El Paso Matters
Link: elpasomatters DOT org/2024/03/19/us-supreme-court-texas-immigration-law-gov-abbott-migrants/

The Money-Quotes:
Update, 10 p.m. March 19: A panel of judges from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals issued an order late Tuesday that blocks the state of Texas from enforcing Senate Bill 4. Oral arguments in an appeal before the three judges of the 5th Circuit are scheduled for Wednesday.

[…]

The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office responded to questions about how [— were SB4 ever to be in force —] it would prioritize and enforce [said law] by directing El Paso Matters to a March 5 press conference.

“I don’t see a change in the way we do business, the way our patrol officers do business when they encounter undocumented immigrants. … We’re prohibited, and rightfully so, to racially profile so we cannot stop somebody because of the way they look and assume they might be an undocumented immigrant,” said outgoing Sheriff Richard Wiles said on March 5.

Typically when the Sheriff’s Office encounters undocumented people, officers will arrest and charge someone identified as a smuggler, but will turn anyone else over to federal authorities.

The Sheriff’s Office does not train nor have time to train officers in civil and criminal immigration law, Wiles said. Officers are busy responding to day-to-day issues, traffic situations and service calls from citizens. The county jails already house a high number of state inmates, he said.

By shifting the responsibility from federal to county police, officers are more liable to lawsuits if they enforce immigration law incorrectly, which then puts an unfair burden on El Paso taxpayers, he said. Furthermore, SB4 erodes county officers’ relationship with the community and the ability to get undocumented victims of crime, or witnesses of crime, to speak with law enforcement, Wiles added.

Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Antisemitism | Breaking News

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Title: Ben Shapiro’s The Daily Wire severs ties with Candace Owens after her embrace of antisemitic rhetoric
Source: CNN Business
Link: cnn DOT com/2024/03/22/media/candace-owen-out-ben-shapiro-daily-wire-anti-semitism/index.html

The Money-Quotes:
Daily Wire and Candace Owens have ended their relationship,” Jeremy Boreing, the chief executive of The Daily Wire, said in a statement posted online.

Owens confirmed the news in her own post, writing, “The rumors are true — I am finally free.”

[…]

[S]ince the October 7 Hamas terror attack on Israel, Owens has repeatedly waded into antisemitic waters as she fiercely criticized Israel, suggesting the Jewish government was committing “genocide” in Gaza and claiming there is a sinister “small ring” of Jewish people in Hollywood and Washington, DC involved in something “quite sinister.”

[…]

In recent days, Owens has continued to generate more controversy, liking a post on X in which a user accused a rabbi of being “drunk on Christian blood.”

Owens’ behavior earned her the praise of those pushing hatred of the Jewish community, which the Anti-Defamation League noted Thursday when it blasted her for pushing “an antisemitic agenda” and fueling “the fire of hate.”

Owens responded by accusing the ADL of having “turned their smear merchant guns” on her.

“Their attacks will have the opposite desired effect,” Owens said. “Awaken world.”

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 11:15 +JMJ+

Title: Ben Shapiro’s The Daily Wire severs ties with Candace Owens after her embrace of antisemitic rhetoric
Source: CNN Business
Link: cnn DOT com/2024/03/22/media/candace-owen-out-ben-shapiro-daily-wire-anti-semitism/index.html

1) Daily Wire has quietly let Candace step away without any comments disparaging her or her reputation.

2) CNN's news and personality reporting is just as low-brow, inflammatory and divisive as ever. They desperately wish they had a portion of the respect, integrity, daily viewers and paying subscriptions that Daily Wire has.

3) Personally, I won't miss Candace. I never watched her show. She struck me a being just a little bit off the rails. That said....

4 ) I do like and admire Candace. Brave and beautiful young woman. I wish her well.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Del wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 15:22[…]

3) Personally, I won't miss Candace. I never watched her show. She struck me a being just a little bit off the rails. That said....

[…]
What I remember most about Candace is that DAN started a thread on OldCPS called "The Magnificent Candace O at CPAC" and that I started a shadow thread called "The Magnificent Candied O's at CPAC" about Trolli Gummi Rings showcased at the Candy Producers of America Convention.

Mmmm … Candied O's.

:character-bart:

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 16:00 +JMJ+
Del wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 15:22[…]

[…]
What I remember most about Candace is that DAN started a thread on OldCPS called "The Magnificent Candace O at CPAC" and that I started a shadow thread called "The Magnificent Candied O's at CPAC" about Trolli Gummi Rings showcased at the Candy Producers of America Convention.

Mmmm … Candied O's.

:character-bart:
I wasn't quite fair to Candace. I don't follow her show. I know nothing of what comments she made that might be "anti-Semitic," or whatever. I only know what CNN said, which means (I repeat myself) that I know nothing.

I do follow Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh though, and I see that CNN is representing them falsely and without context. Thus I have no reason to trust CNN's account of why Candace is leaving.

Candace has had a multitude of shining moments. My favorite is when she testified before Congress about at a hearing regarding the "problem" of "white supremacy" and "domestic terrorism."

There were a serveral white liberal women as "experts" -- and Candace. The white ladies insisted that Candace was being Black the wrong way and.... well, it's best just to watch for five minutes:

Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »