Thanksgiving Foods 2022

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Thanksgiving Foods 2022

Post by JimVH »

Egg custard is life. The rest looks pretty darn good, too.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Thanksgiving Foods 2022

Post by sweetandsour »

jmg wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 15:41 Cornbread dressing. There is no substitute or equal. There was giblet gravy to top it with.

A small portion of what was available...

My wife made me my own, personal egg custard because she's a great wife and knows it's my favorite.
Nice spread. I make the CB dressing every year, and enjoy doing it a little differently each year. Yours looks like it has large chunks of CB; I've done that before, but this year my CB was fresh and crumbled up almost entirely.
Custard pies are always good. My mom and grandmother used to always make Jeff Davis pies during the holidays, and were the richest custard-like pies that I have ever had, then or since. Even as a sugar eating kid I couldn't eat more than a small slice. Haven't had or even seen one in many many years.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Thanksgiving Foods 2022

Post by JimVH »

sweetandsour wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 05:43 Custard pies are always good. My mom and grandmother used to always make Jeff Davis pies during the holidays, and were the richest custard-like pies that I have ever had, then or since. Even as a sugar eating kid I couldn't eat more than a small slice. Haven't had or even seen one in many many years.
Jeff Davis pie is new to me. Looks very similar to a brown sugar pie I make.

Did your mom add bourbon to hers?
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Thanksgiving Foods 2022

Post by jmg »

JimVH wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 11:47
sweetandsour wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 05:43 Custard pies are always good. My mom and grandmother used to always make Jeff Davis pies during the holidays, and were the richest custard-like pies that I have ever had, then or since. Even as a sugar eating kid I couldn't eat more than a small slice. Haven't had or even seen one in many many years.

Mom's dressing actually doesn't have chunks of cornbread. I think what your seeing are probably pieces of turkey she puts in it. I've never heard of Jeff Davis pie. I'll have to look it up.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Thanksgiving Foods 2022

Post by sweetandsour »

JimVH wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 11:47

Sometimes, IIRC, but not usually. On the recipe she gave to me it's not listed, but she included a note on the back of the recipe card that says "the old recipe uses 6 eggs and 3T of vinegar". (She was a little leery of the vinegar, per her note.) Beaten egg whites are mixed in, which form a topping that browns with the crust.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.