The Theotokos Thread

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent

The Theotokos Thread

Post by DLJake »

Aarons rod was in the old ark ...

:character-cookiemonster:
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Del
Usher
Usher

The Theotokos Thread

Post by Del »

DLJake wrote: 03 Dec 2022, 21:38 Aarons rod was in the old ark ...

:character-cookiemonster:
DLJake welcomes Baby Jesus at Christmastime with "Yer Mom."
Wosbald

The Theotokos Thread

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Glad You Asked: Why did God choose Mary? [Podcast]

(Credit: U.S. Catholic)

In this episode of the podcast, LaRyssa Herrington discusses the theological significance of God’s choice of Mary to bear God to the world.

Catholics often have to explain to their Protestant friends that no, we don’t worship Mary. We do venerate her, though, because she freely chose to say “yes” when God asked her to bring Jesus into the world. And we ask her to intercede for us because of her closeness to Jesus.

Catholics have a set of doctrines about Mary, and a whole branch of theology called Mariology. This doesn’t mean every question about who she was and her role in salvation history is set in stone, however. For centuries, theologians–most of them men–have debated topics such as whether or not Mary was perpetually a virgin, how much she knew about her son’s mission, and whether she could have, theoretically, said “no” instead of “yes.”

But why Mary in the first place? Why did Jesus, whom Catholics worship as the second person of the Trinity, come into the world through the body of a young woman from a poor family in Roman-occupied Palestine? Was this necessary in some way, or just chance? What is the theological significance of God’s choice of Mary to bear God to the world? Why, in short, did God choose Mary?

To answer these questions, guest LaRyssa Herrington joins hosts Emily Sanna and Rebecca Bratten Weiss on the final episode of the season. Herrington is a doctoral student in systematic theology at the University of Notre Dame researching womanist theology, Mariology, eschatology, ritual studies, and sacramental theology.

[…]

Why did God choose Mary? [Audio: 20 min]

FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Theotokos Thread

Post by FredS »

We studied Mary' Magnificat yesterday.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

The Theotokos Thread

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 06:26 We studied Mary' Magnificat yesterday.
There is a great deal to unpack in Mary's canticle prayer!
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Theotokos Thread

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 06:55
Indeed. More than can be done in a few minute.

Though not in the Magnificat, one of my favorite stories is how John The Baptist leapt for joy (my words) in Elizabeth's womb when Mary visited with Jesus in her womb.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

The Theotokos Thread

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 07:08

Though not in the Magnificat, one of my favorite stories is how John The Baptist leapt for joy (my words) in Elizabeth's womb when Mary visited with Jesus in her womb.
Not "your words." You are remembering Scripture accurately:
NIV Luke 1:44 wrote:As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.
Amazed by the message from the Angel and urged by the Holy Spirit, Mary made haste to visit Elizabeth. Even traveling at an urgent pace, it was still a trip of three or four days.

At first sight and greeting, something passed between Jesus and John while still in the wombs of their mothers. John stirred in Elizabeth's womb with something so special, we can only suppose that it was the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Such was John's place in salvation history that I am persuaded to hold with the Orthodox Tradition that John the Baptist was faithful and sinless throughout his life on earth. Even Jesus tells us that John the Baptist was "the greatest of all men born of women."

Meanwhile, the Holy Spirit also infused Elizabeth with secret knowledge of who Mary was and whom Mary bore! The Christ-Child is less than a week old in Mary's womb. Elizabeth and Zechariah had been gobsmacked by astounding miracles and revelations, yet Elizabeth is struck with humility: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"

Keep in mind that since the time of King Solomon, the mother of the King was recognized as the Queen of Israel. Both Mary and Elizabeth were acutely aware of this. Elizabeth was addressing her Queen!

Mary had used her traveling time well. Pondering the Scriptures she held in her heart and guided by the Holy Spirit, she synthesized the meaning of Genesis 3:15, the Song of Deborah (Judges 4-5), and prophets like Isaiah. She composed these thoughts into her humble and beautiful Magnificat.

At the time Luke wrote his Gospel, no one was around to remember the intimate details surrounding Christ's birth except perhaps for Mary herself. I am firmly of the opinion that St. Luke interviewed Mary in detail for the recording of his history. Luke probably heard the song of the Magnificat from Mary's own lips.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Theotokos Thread

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 08:15
FredS wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 07:08

Not "your words." You are remembering Scripture accurately:
NIV Luke 1:44 wrote:As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.
Amazed by the message from the Angel and urged by the Holy Spirit, Mary made haste to visit Elizabeth. Even traveling at an urgent pace, it was still a trip of three or four days.

At first sight and greeting, something passed between Jesus and John while still in the wombs of their mothers. John stirred in Elizabeth's womb with something so special, we can only suppose that it was the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Such was John's place in salvation history that I am persuaded to hold with the Orthodox Tradition that John the Baptist was faithful and sinless throughout his life on earth. Even Jesus tells us that John the Baptist was "the greatest of all men born of women."

Meanwhile, the Holy Spirit also infused Elizabeth with secret knowledge of who Mary was and whom Mary bore! The Christ-Child is less than a week old in Mary's womb. Elizabeth and Zechariah had been gobsmacked by astounding miracles and revelations, yet Elizabeth is struck with humility: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?"

Mary had used her traveling time well. Pondering the Scriptures she held in her heart and guided by the Holy Spirit, she synthesized the meaning of Genesis 3:15, the Song of Deborah (Judges 4-5), and prophets like Isaiah. She composed these thoughts into her humble and beautiful Magnificat.

At the time Luke wrote his Gospel, no one was around to remember the intimate details surrounding Christ's birth except perhaps for Mary herself. I am firmly of the opinion that St. Luke interviewed Mary in detail for the recording of his history. Luke probably heard the song of the Magnificat from Mary's own lips.
Fair enough. I think most translations say simply that the baby 'moved' in Elizabeth's womb. I like to think he did much more than just roll over and say 'Yo'.

We've lost a few babies before birth and it always hits Mrs FredS way harder than me. I figure that's because she knew them from conception and I didn't get to meet them. Yet. I suppose that's why Johns reaction rings with me - up to that point, only Mary (and maybe Joseph?) 'knew' the Christ child, but John is the first outsider to understand what was happening.
Del
Usher
Usher

The Theotokos Thread

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 08:48 Fair enough. I think most translations say simply that the baby 'moved' in Elizabeth's womb. I like to think he did much more than just roll over and say 'Yo'.

We've lost a few babies before birth and it always hits Mrs FredS way harder than me. I figure that's because she knew them from conception and I didn't get to meet them. Yet. I suppose that's why Johns reaction rings with me - up to that point, only Mary (and maybe Joseph?) 'knew' the Christ child, but John is the first outsider to understand what was happening.
From my youth, the verb has always been "leaped" or "leapt." I took that quote from the NIV (more-or-less at random), which is a translation highly respected among American Evangelicals. Whatever the translation, it is apparent from Scripture that Elizabeth felt John's movement as something more significant than the usual motions.

Peace and blessings upon Mrs. Fred. Our modern culture of death does not offer adequate respect and sympathy for mothers who have lost children.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

The Theotokos Thread

Post by coco »

So, this is the first Mary thread of the new CPS.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.