The Holy Land Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Holy Land Thread

Post by Jocose »

https://x.com/nexta_tv/status/1710591297721979115?s=20

Israel is at war, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said

"Citizens of #Israel, we are at war. This is not an escalation, this is not another round of violence. Hamas has declared war on us," the Prime Minister emphasized.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Holy Land Thread

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Jocose wrote: 07 Oct 2023, 11:38x DOT com/nexta_tv/status/1710591297721979115?s=20

Israel is at war, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said

"Citizens of #Israel, we are at war. This is not an escalation, this is not another round of violence. Hamas has declared war on us," the Prime Minister emphasized.
Considering that Hamas is not a Nation-State, it's only a "war" in a lesser, or secondary, sense: viz., like the "War on Drugs", the "War on Crime", "War on Terrorism", "on Poverty", etc.

Though this doesn't necessarily lessen the existential gravity of the sitch or the human toll, it does clarify the degree of duty which the other Nation-States of the world owe to Israel. IOW, we can "unequivocally support Israel" in its time of turmoil without committing to any specific defense of Israel's sovereign Rights as a Nation-State which — in marked contrast to the moral (not necessarily financial or military) support owed to Ukraine's injured sovereign Rights — remain uninfringed.

:flags-ukraine:

Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Fratelli Tutti

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: Vatican News
Link: vaticannews DOT va/en/pope/news/2023-10/pope-at-angelus-war-is-a-defeat-every-war-is-a-defeat.html
Pope prays for peace in Israel and Palestine: ‘Every war is a defeat!’

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

Pope Francis calls for attacks to cease as he prays for peace in Israel and Palestine.

08 October 2023 — “Please stop the attacks and the weapons,” Pope Francis pleaded on Sunday, “and understand that terrorism and war do not lead to any solution, but only to the death and suffering of so many innocent people.”

“War is always a defeat! Every war is a defeat!” he insisted.

Speaking after the Angelus prayer on Sunday, the Holy Father said he is following “with apprehension and sorrow,” the latest news from Israel, “where violence has erupted even more ferociously, causing hundreds of deaths and injuries.”

He expressed his sympathy to the families of victims, and said he is praying for them and for “all those who are experiencing hours of terror and anguish.” The Pope invited everyone to pray for peace in Israel and Palestine.

[…]

Latin Patriarchate calls for de-escalation

In a statement issued on Saturday, the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem lamented, “The too many casualties and tragedies, which both Palestinians and Israeli families have to deal with, will create more hatred and division, and will destroy more and more any perspective of stability.”

The statement called on the international community and religious leaders “to make every effort in helping to de-escalate the situation, restore calm and work to guarantee the fundamental rights of people in the region.”

The need for a solution to the conflict

The Patriarchate insisted on the importance of maintaining the so-called “Status Quo” with regard to all the Holy Places in the Holy Land, especially in Jerusalem; and of the “urgent need to find a lasting and comprehensive solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict in this land.”

The Patriarchate’s statement concluded with the prayer that God might “inspire world leaders in their intervention for the implementation of peace and concord so that Jerusalem may be a house of prayer for all peoples.”

Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

The Holy Land Thread

Post by Biff »

As I recall, the Fratelli's were the bad guys in the Goonies.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Holy Land Thread

Post by Hovannes »

It will quicky unravel now.
Putin wants to distract from Ukraine.
Putin & Iran are close allies.
Iran wants the destruction of Israel.
Israel is in domestic turmoil between domestic political factions just like the US
A perfect time to attack.
With citizens of other countries among the casualties, you can bet this will unravel.
Enjoy your peaceful week end and hold your loved ones tight.
It's going to be a bumpy ride, I fear.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Fratelli Tutti

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: National Catholic Reporter / CNS
Link: ncronline DOT org/vatican/vatican-news/war-defeats-human-dignity-avoids-finding-solution-vatican-cardinal-says
War defeats human dignity, avoids finding solution, Vatican cardinal says

Vatican City — Terrorism, violence, barbarism and extremism undermine the legitimate aspirations of Palestinians and Israelis, said Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Vatican secretary of state.

"War is always the defeat of dignity and an occasion for not reaching any solution," he said, hoping that all weapons would be silenced and reason prevail so that there can be pause to reflect on the right way to achieve peace in Israel and Palestine.

The cardinal made his remarks Oct. 9 ahead of his prepared speech at Rome's Pontifical Gregorian University for a conference on the latest research into the Vatican archives of the period of Pope Pius XII's pontificate before, during and after World War II.

[…]

The conference held a moment of silence. The attendees included Raphael Schutz, Israel's ambassador to the Holy See, Rome's Chief Rabbi Riccardo Di Segni; and a large number of Jewish scholars, including historian Deborah Lipstadt, the U.S. special envoy to monitor and combat antisemitism.

"I would have never thought to begin today my speech with the dutiful, sad obligation to share and convey the sorrow that the Holy Father expressed yesterday about what is happening in Israel," Parolin said, referring to the pope's remarks Oct. 8 after praying the Angelus.

"In Israel, many Israeli brothers and sisters were awakened by a terrible and despicable attack. We are close to the families of the victims, to the thousands of wounded, to those who are missing and kidnapped and now in great danger," the cardinal said.

"The Holy See is following with deep and grave concern the war that has been provoked, in which also many Palestinians in Gaza are losing their lives and many are displaced and wounded. Our closeness and prayers also go to their families and all civilians totally innocent," he added.

"Unfortunately, terrorism, violence, barbarism and extremism undermine the legitimate aspirations of Palestinians and Israelis," he said.

[…]

Speaking to reporters outside the university, Cardinal Parolin said that, as Pope Pius taught, "peace is the fruit of justice."

As long as there is not a just solution of the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, he said, "these things will always be in danger of happening again and again with greater ferocity."

Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Fratelli Tutti

Post by Hovannes »

Wosbald wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 13:13 +JMJ+

Link: ncronline DOT org/vatican/vatican-news/war-defeats-human-dignity-avoids-finding-solution-vatican-cardinal-says
War defeats human dignity, avoids finding solution, Vatican cardinal says

Vatican City — Terrorism, violence, barbarism and extremism undermine the legitimate aspirations of Palestinians and Israelis, said Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Vatican secretary of state.

"War is always the defeat of dignity and an occasion for not reaching any solution," he said, hoping that all weapons would be silenced and reason prevail so that there can be pause to reflect on the right way to achieve peace in Israel and Palestine.

The cardinal made his remarks Oct. 9 ahead of his prepared speech at Rome's Pontifical Gregorian University for a conference on the latest research into the Vatican archives of the period of Pope Pius XII's pontificate before, during and after World War II.

[…]

The conference held a moment of silence. The attendees included Raphael Schutz, Israel's ambassador to the Holy See, Rome's Chief Rabbi Riccardo Di Segni; and a large number of Jewish scholars, including historian Deborah Lipstadt, the U.S. special envoy to monitor and combat antisemitism.

"I would have never thought to begin today my speech with the dutiful, sad obligation to share and convey the sorrow that the Holy Father expressed yesterday about what is happening in Israel," Parolin said, referring to the pope's remarks Oct. 8 after praying the Angelus.

"In Israel, many Israeli brothers and sisters were awakened by a terrible and despicable attack. We are close to the families of the victims, to the thousands of wounded, to those who are missing and kidnapped and now in great danger," the cardinal said.

"The Holy See is following with deep and grave concern the war that has been provoked, in which also many Palestinians in Gaza are losing their lives and many are displaced and wounded. Our closeness and prayers also go to their families and all civilians totally innocent," he added.

"Unfortunately, terrorism, violence, barbarism and extremism undermine the legitimate aspirations of Palestinians and Israelis," he said.

[…]

Speaking to reporters outside the university, Cardinal Parolin said that, as Pope Pius taught, "peace is the fruit of justice."

As long as there is not a just solution of the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, he said, "these things will always be in danger of happening again and again with greater ferocity."
This stinks.
Azerbaijan destroyed Karabagh.
It's not coming back.
The first world nations made sure of that.
Ethnic cleansing is alive and well.
Iran has taken notes.
Del
Usher
Usher

Fratelli Tutti

Post by Del »

Hovannes wrote: 09 Oct 2023, 19:21

This stinks.
It's not coming back.
Iran has taken notes.
Obama gave $BillionS cash to Iran.
Hamas fired rockets on Israel.
US gave cash and weapons to Israel for defense.

Biden gave $BillionS cash to Iran.
US will give cash and weapons to Israel for defense.

I wish I could complain about Trump, but the Abraham Accords were a Nobel Prize-worthy step toward lasting peace.

Our road to peace is to work with the Islamic states to isolate Iran. Hamas had the choice to take everything they were offered, or commit to the genocide of Israelis. So far, they have chosen war. Hopefully they will choose peace soon, before all the homes of innocent Palestinians are destroyed.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Fratelli Tutti

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 06:30

This stinks.
It's not coming back.
Iran has taken notes.

I wish I could complain about Trump, but the Abraham Accords were a Nobel Prize-worthy step toward lasting peace.

Our road to peace is to work with the Islamic states to isolate Iran. Hamas had the choice to take everything they were offered, or commit to the genocide of Israelis. So far, they have chosen war. Hopefully they will choose peace soon, before all the homes of innocent Palestinians are destroyed.
This one may it. The big one. I say just go ahead and nuke Iran.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Fratelli Tutti

Post by Hugo Drax »

sweetandsour wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 09:09
Del wrote: 10 Oct 2023, 06:30

This stinks.
It's not coming back.
Iran has taken notes.

This one may it. The big one. I say just go ahead and nuke Iran.
I like your moxie.
Weenies are us.