The Pope Francis Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Jocose wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 16:54Many people are curious why Pope Francis would then consider removing Bishop Strickland?
Regarding Pp Francis, Bp Stickland said that he "reject[s] his program of undermining the Deposit of Faith."

File the Strickland Affair under "What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?"

:eusa-think:

Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Jocose »

Del wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 19:56 There's more to the story.
Yes there is, as I’m finding out by casually reading up on the matter.

There sure seems to be a big beef amongst ‘traditional’ catholics (whatever/however they are defined) and the pope, many saying the pope has gone off his nut. Anyway, seems like a big mess and the division seems pretty fierce just by reading some of the comments I’m seeing on everybody’s favorite social media.

He’s in quite the pickle.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Del »

Jocose wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 21:33
Del wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 19:56 There's more to the story.
Yes there is, as I’m finding out by casually reading up on the matter.

There sure seems to be a big beef amongst ‘traditional’ catholics (whatever/however they are defined) and the pope, many saying the pope has gone off his nut. Anyway, seems like a big mess and the division seems pretty fierce just by reading some of the comments I’m seeing on everybody’s favorite social media.

He’s in quite the pickle.
In American Catholic jargon, "traditional" usually means those who are devoted to worshipping at the Latin Mass. More broadly, it refers to devout Catholics who appreciate "reverent" worship: real sacred music and chant, incense, lots of altar boys (who are really boys), some Latin prayers in the English Mass, praying the Rosary before Mass and the St. Michael prayer after, sacramental confession available before Mass, etc.

Homeschool families with lots of kids seek out these parishes. They are very alive and vibrant. Vocations to priesthood and religious life come from these families. (Contrast with the typical sleepy suburban parish where there are no kids and the folk guitar strummers are all over 60, just like everyone else. And all of the altar boys are girls.)

Pope Benedict made the Latin Mass to be widely available, and it caused a great renewal of prayerful devotions and active ministries. It's where our young people are, and those who want to go deep in their Catholic faith.

Meanwhile Pope Francis is convinced that only old people want the Latin Mass, seeking nostalgia. In his mind, it seems that those Americans who defy him are dangerously reactionary to the point of disobedience. So he has tried to suppress the Latin Mass, to the point that bishops are not allowed to advertise where those Masses are held or encourage people to encounter it. Latin Mass may not be celebrated at the "main" church in any parish, and must be sidelined to a rural chapel.

He really has no clue, in this regard.

I don't know what his experience was in Argentina, but American Catholics are fearful that he might suppress the Latin Mass altogether.

My bishop is practicing "soviet compliance": my term for obeying the rules just enough to avoid getting noticed. We "reorganized" so that nearly every priest and parish that hosted Latin Mass communities are still able to do so, with little disruption.
Last edited by Del on 14 Sep 2023, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Hovannes »

How about Francis Albert?
Del
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 21:11 +JMJ+
Jocose wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 16:54Many people are curious why Pope Francis would then consider removing Bishop Strickland?
Regarding Pp Francis, Bp Stickland said that he "reject[s] his program of undermining the Deposit of Faith."

File the Strickland Affair under "What Did You Think Was Going To Happen?"

:eusa-think:
We know what happened to Cardinal Burke and the other authors of the Five Dubia.

We know how Francis snubbed Archbishop Chaput of Philadelphia in favor of Cardinal Tobin of Newark.

We have seen the parade of cancelled priests, persecuted for daring to speak the obvious truths out loud.

As one who has admired Bishop Strickland for many years, I'm certain he knew exactly what was going to happen.
=========================

Whenever a priest or bishop, quoting the Catechism, boldly utters the words "intrinsically disordered," the Lavender Mafia moves into action.

Likewise, any mention of Canon 915 regarding politicians, parties, and voters who support abortion, same-sex marriage, and other public policies promoting grave, manifest sin.

The result is a solid pope-slap, influenced by those surrounding Pope Francis. Usually administered under some manufactured pretext.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Jocose »

The pope is woke?

EDIT: The Pope is woke!
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Del »

Jocose wrote: 15 Sep 2023, 08:19 The pope is woke?

EDIT: The Pope is woke!
I have not been impressed with Pope Francis. He is not an inspiring spiritual leader. Some of his actions seem ill-advised, and many leave me scratching my head.

But we have endured Popes who were significantly weaker. Some were manifestly evil. Christ's Church cannot be harmed or destroyed.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Jocose »

Well I suppose this was bound to happen after Rome split themselves away from the undivided church and then started making stuff up on their own. :whistle:

<ducks for cover> :P :lol:
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Hugo Drax »

Splitters!!!
Weenies are us.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Jocose »

I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.