It was a rosary.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

It was a rosary.

Post by sweetandsour »

Hail, Mary full of Grace; the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

He didn’t bother sliding a bead through his fingers. He wasn’t keeping count, only letting the lovely words float through his mind. He was midway in what would have been the second decade when the retriever suddenly leapt to her feet and uttered a soft growl.

From A Woman in White, by Michael McIntosh.

https://sportingclassicsdaily.com/a-woman-in-white/
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

It was a rosary.

Post by Del »

Thank you for this. What a beautiful short story. A wife's prayer. A Mother's protection. Did it really happen or was it just hypothermia dream?

This is so beautiful, on so many levels. I don't want to spoil it with "analysis."

I hope everyone takes a moment to read it.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

It was a rosary.

Post by Hovannes »

I wonder if this was posthumously published? The late Michael McIntosh was one of my favorite outdoor writers.
He passed away in 2010
https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gu ... -mcintosh/
or is there a new Michael McIntosh? The quality of the writing is eerily similar.
Del
Usher
Usher

It was a rosary.

Post by Del »

Hovannes wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 19:50 I wonder if this was posthumously published? The late Michael McIntosh was one of my favorite outdoor writers.
He passed away in 2010
https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gu ... -mcintosh/
or is there a new Michael McIntosh? The quality of the writing is eerily similar.
This reminded me of some of the short stories you published in Gilbert Magazine. Especially the one about the fellow encountering a stranger as he entered the adoration chapel.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

It was a rosary.

Post by FredS »

nice
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

It was a rosary.

Post by Bloodhound »

FredS wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 07:35nice
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

It was a rosary.

Post by Hugo Drax »

That was really good.

I don't know if you subscribe to Gray's Sporting Journal but there's a good deal of fine writing in there.
Weenies are us.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

It was a rosary.

Post by sweetandsour »

Hugo Drax wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 06:48 That was really good.

I don't know if you subscribe to Gray's Sporting Journal but there's a good deal of fine writing in there.
I've subscribed in the past, and enjoy them. In fact I submitted a poem last year, and was told it would be used, but I haven't seen it yet. But that's how it is with one-off freelance submissions to all of the current publications.

I always enjoyed reading Michael McIntosh. I'm not too partial to Sporting Classics but I receive their emails, and will glance through a copy at B&N's racks.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hugo Drax

It was a rosary.

Post by Hugo Drax »

sweetandsour wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 06:34
Hugo Drax wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 06:48 That was really good.

I've subscribed in the past, and enjoy them. In fact I submitted a poem last year, and was told it would be used, but I haven't seen it yet. But that's how it is with one-off freelance submissions to all of the current publications.

I always enjoyed reading Michael McIntosh. I'm not too partial to Sporting Classics but I receive their emails, and will glance through a copy at B&N's racks.
Sporting Classics just isn't in the same realm, unfortunately. Pulp fiction compared to the more serious Gray's. Nothing really compares.

Let me know when your poem is published because a) it's really cool and b) I want you to sign my copy!
Weenies are us.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

It was a rosary.

Post by joegoat »

What a good read!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)