Rosary

We never get tired of hearing these tales
Del
Usher
Usher

Rosary

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 16:37 Man, there are some responses here that are bat guano insane even by CPS standards.

Use whatever aid that helps you pray, brother. Beads, knuckles, heck, the desert fathers used pebbles.

I like the design of the one you've chosen and the company is run by good people. If it doesn't work out someone will gladly take it off your hands.
I'll say. "Christofascists" ????

Not to point any fingers, but c'mon. Some people never run out of boogeymen.
tuttle wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 08:30 Well, the same type of thing is happening today. Folks fear the rosary. Especially the baby killing folks. And laws are again popping up in the UK and fears are swirling in the US regarding them. This particular rosary seems like a symbol of defiance to all of that.

Anyway, that's a bit of where my head is at. Any thoughts on a baptist using a rosary for aid in prayer, to also serve as a symbol of humility and a type of unity with brothers in resistance to demonic tyranny? Or is it just a bunch of cultural appropriation...
I didn't imagine that you would go to the sidewalk and brandish your beads like some hooded KKK burning a cross. What a silly thought.

It takes courage, just to go the sidewalk. You are vulnerable, and the real fascists carry a certainty that they would be right to harass and even assault you. It takes more courage to carry rosary beads in your hands... might as well draw a target on your back. Anyone who has spent more than a few hours on the sidewalk has experienced scorn, ridicule, threats, angry horns, and a multitude of middle fingers. And sometimes.... we get to help a mother and save a child.

A pro-life woman was recently arrested in the London for praying silently outside the clinic. Real-life Orwellian fascists, prosecuting a woman for thought-crime. Okay.... she did admit to police that she "might have been praying." That's illegal now, in the land that was once "Mary's Dowry."
===========================

Mr. tuttle -- your comment of "cultural appropriation" made me laugh! :biggrin: We encourage everyone to pray the Rosary, and we tell no one that he shouldn't pray the Rosary.

I had never heard of this Irish Penal Rosary before. Even without its history, it looks like a great design for a pocket rosary.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Rosary

Post by tuttle »

Hugo Drax wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 16:37 Man, there are some responses here that are bat guano insane even by CPS standards.
Yeah, I kind of regret even posting it.
Hugo Drax wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 16:37 Use whatever aid that helps you pray, brother. Beads, knuckles, heck, the desert fathers used pebbles.
jmg wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 15:49 If it helps draw you to prayer and/or helps to keep your attention fixed on Christ, I don't see an issue.
This is really where I was going with it. Thanks.
Del wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 18:54 Mr. tuttle -- your comment of "cultural appropriation" made me laugh! :biggrin: We encourage everyone to pray the Rosary, and we tell no one that he shouldn't pray the Rosary.
Oh good. It was meant as a joke.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Rosary

Post by FredS »

tuttle wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 06:02
Sorry about that. But stop. CPS does what CPS does.

If you wanna appropriate the rosary to look like a rapper, who am I to disagree? :smile:
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Rosary

Post by tuttle »

FredS wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 06:48
tuttle wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 06:02
Sorry about that. But stop. CPS does what CPS does.

If you wanna appropriate the rosary to look like a rapper, who am I to disagree? :smile:
Del
Usher
Usher

Rosary

Post by Del »

tuttle wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 07:14 Image
That makes me want to pull out my guitar and play some blues, or something.
Del
Usher
Usher

Rosary

Post by Del »

So Mr. tuttle..... what exactly do you want to do with those rosary beads?

Do you want to pray as Catholics do, remembering scripture and the events of Jesus' life with Mary to guide you?

Or do you have something else in mind? There are "Evangelical rosary" versions available, inviting meditation without having to mark time by reciting the Scriptures that focus on Mary.

Very personal question, I know. But I find that it is most edifying to learn how others pray. (Pretty much everyone prays better than I do.)
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Rosary

Post by mcommini »

Del wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 08:34 So Mr. tuttle..... what exactly do you want to do with those rosary beads?

Do you want to pray as Catholics do, remembering scripture and the events of Jesus' life with Mary to guide you?

Or do you have something else in mind? There are "Evangelical rosary" versions available, inviting meditation without having to mark time by reciting the Scriptures that focus on Mary.

Very personal question, I know. But I find that it is most edifying to learn how others pray. (Pretty much everyone prays better than I do.)
Another alternative would be the Orthodox practice- repeat "O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me the sinner" paying careful attention to each word as you say it. No meditating on Scripture (that's for other contexts) or the events of the Lord's life and avoiding mental imagery as much as possible (during noetic prayer we can be quite the iconoclasts). Just spend a little time, just you and Jesus, in the quiet of your heart, with no agenda for the conversation.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Rosary

Post by Biff »

Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, “When ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking” (Matthew 6:7, KJV). The word vain means “empty” or “useless”; so Jesus is warning us that repeating worthless phrases in our prayers will not help them be heard by God. Our Heavenly Father is not concerned with word count, flowery expressions, or mantras; He desires “truth in the inward being” (Psalm 51:6, ESV).
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Rosary

Post by Del »

Biff wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 19:52 Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, “When ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking” (Matthew 6:7, KJV). The word vain means “empty” or “useless”; so Jesus is warning us that repeating worthless phrases in our prayers will not help them be heard by God. Our Heavenly Father is not concerned with word count, flowery expressions, or mantras; He desires “truth in the inward being” (Psalm 51:6, ESV).
The pagans were "casting spells." Incantations. They repeated the words that had worked before, for calling down rain or victory in battle.

Hopefully, that's not what we are doing as we enter into our favorite memorized prayers. For a Christian, we can repeat the Hail Mary, the Our Father, the Jesus prayer, or sing our favorite choruses as many times as the song leader asks -- and we should let it be fresh and new as the first time we learned it. Just deeper in some way.

All of our favorite memorized prayers are scriptural. It's okay to meditate on key verses from scripture, even for years.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Rosary

Post by tuttle »

mcommini wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 19:39
Del wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 08:34 So Mr. tuttle..... what exactly do you want to do with those rosary beads?

Another alternative would be the Orthodox practice- repeat "O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me the sinner" paying careful attention to each word as you say it. No meditating on Scripture (that's for other contexts) or the events of the Lord's life and avoiding mental imagery as much as possible (during noetic prayer we can be quite the iconoclasts). Just spend a little time, just you and Jesus, in the quiet of your heart, with no agenda for the conversation.
Actually my (protestant) friend with whom I've had these discussions with, recommended the same prayer.