Art in the News

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent

Art in the News

Post by DLJake »

I've known a few artists over the decades. They all always agonize over their work attempting to pour their vision onto canvas or sculpture.

This one isn't my bag. Oh well. Who am I?
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Del
Usher
Usher

Art in the News

Post by Del »

DLJake wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 17:39
I've known a few artists over the decades. They all always agonize over their work attempting to pour their vision onto canvas or sculpture.

This one isn't my bag. Oh well. Who am I?
I can appreciate an artist who struggles to accomplish his vision, in the hope that people will receive it well.

What I can't understand is a committee of people looking over hundreds of proposals and finally selecting this one.
Maybe it looked cute as a table-top scale model?
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Art in the News

Post by mcommini »

Hovannes wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 06:17 Where could we witness beautiful Christian Art in the wild. so to speak?
Fewer and fewer homes, shops and offices display any example at all.
Christ apparently has been cancelled.
We've been woke all along!
Older Roman Catholic churches- the cathedral here in Santa Fe has some beautiful icons. Byzantine Catholic churches will have wonderful art as well. And of course Orthodox parishes- my parish is currently awaiting some beautiful new pieces to be installed, but it's a bit tied up as one of the artists lives in Ukraine.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Art in the News

Post by FredS »

You guys understand that grumbling about public art projects is the second sign. Right?

Grumbling about kids and their *newfangled music is the first. Complaining about their hairstyles is the third. Using the term "interwebs" is the fourth, and final, sign that yer old.

*This is most often evidenced by oldish white guys complaining about the super bowl halftime show.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Art in the News

Post by mcommini »

FredS wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 13:14 You guys understand that grumbling about public art projects is the second sign. Right?

Grumbling about kids and their *newfangled music is the first. Complaining about their hairstyles is the third. Using the term "interwebs" is the fourth, and final, sign that yer old.

*This is most often evidenced by oldish white guys complaining about the super bowl halftime show.
In that case, I've been living the second sign since my 20s, when Chicago installed a giant, shiny turd in Millennium Park. The third sign as well- it was the decade of the faux-hawk.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Art in the News

Post by Hovannes »

mcommini wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 19:03
FredS wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 13:14 You guys understand that grumbling about public art projects is the second sign. Right?

In that case, I've been living the second sign since my 20s, when Chicago installed a giant, shiny turd in Millennium Park. The third sign as well- it was the decade of the faux-hawk.
The prudent question to ask would be "What would MLK think of the sculpture?"
How would He want to be memorialize?
Where would He want the $$ to go?
And as importantly, what does the sculpture say to the public right now? One hundred years from now? Four hundred years from now?
Wosbald

Art in the News

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Tabasco bottle ‘urban myth’ turns out to be true

A bottle of Tabasco Sauce is on the table In a circular painting of “The Last Supper” in St. Joseph Catholic Church in Parks, La. (Special to the American Press)

Shane Bernard kept hearing a persistent rumor. For almost two years the historian and curator at the McIlhenny Company, makers of Tabasco Brand Products, had been told there was a Catholic church in Parks, La. that housed a painting depicting The Last Supper. In this painting, on a table in front of Jesus and his disciples, was a bottle of Tabasco Sauce, he was told.

“Every time I drove through Parks, I would stop by St. Joseph Catholic Church to check it out, but the church was always locked,” said Bernard in a phone interview with the American Press. “So I wrote a letter to the priest there, Father Nicholas DuPré, back in February, and asked him about it,” said Bernard.

How does one respectfully ask a priest if there is a Tabasco bottle in a painting in his church?

In his letter, Bernard did it like this:
I have stopped by your church building on the rare occasions I pass through Parks, but have never been fortunate enough to go inside.

I stopped in order to look into what may very well be an “urban myth,” which I have heard from more than one person, and which is: that a mischievous painter, when creating a mural inside the church depicting the last supper, included a bottle of our Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce on the table in the image. Can you tell me if this is true? I suspect it is not, given the seriousness of the location, but one never knows!
Turns out, it’s true.

In May, Bernard heard back from the Rev. DuPré. He called Bernard and told him he had climbed up on a ladder to verify it because the painting in question was 20 feet up in the air, mounted to an arch near the cry room. If there was a Tabasco bottle in the painting, it wasn’t a big one, because the priest couldn’t really make it out from the ground.

But once up on the ladder, he saw it. While there is no inscription on it, a tiny red and green Tabasco-like bottle is indeed set in front of a disciple on the far left.

Detail showing Tabasco bottle. (Source: 97.3 FM The Dawg; Townsquare Media, Inc.)

The painting was created in 2005 when the Rev. Bryce Sibley was pastor of the church, said Rev. DuPré. Supposedly it was Rev. Sibley who had the idea to have the Tabasco-like bottle added to the painting, Bernard was told.

Rev. Dupre took photos of the painting and shared them with Bernard, while also sharing it on social media.

With the rumor confirmed, Bernard said he created a digital file of the information to save for posterity, and then it was back to work.

Bernard has served in his current position with the McIlhenny Company for 29 years. In 1993, he was hired for what was supposed to be only a three-to-six-month gig for the company’s 125th anniversary, but the position morphed into a full-time job and he has been there ever since.

Parks is a village in St. Martin Parish, east of Lafayette. In 2020, the population was 696. St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 1034 Bridge St. The church is part of the Diocese of Lafayette.

tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Art in the News

Post by tuttle »

Wosbald wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 10:01 +JMJ+

A bottle of Tabasco Sauce is on the table In a circular painting of “The Last Supper” in St. Joseph Catholic Church in Parks, La. (Special to the American Press)

Shane Bernard kept hearing a persistent rumor. For almost two years the historian and curator at the McIlhenny Company, makers of Tabasco Brand Products, had been told there was a Catholic church in Parks, La. that housed a painting depicting The Last Supper. In this painting, on a table in front of Jesus and his disciples, was a bottle of Tabasco Sauce, he was told.

“Every time I drove through Parks, I would stop by St. Joseph Catholic Church to check it out, but the church was always locked,” said Bernard in a phone interview with the American Press. “So I wrote a letter to the priest there, Father Nicholas DuPré, back in February, and asked him about it,” said Bernard.

How does one respectfully ask a priest if there is a Tabasco bottle in a painting in his church?

I have stopped by your church building on the rare occasions I pass through Parks, but have never been fortunate enough to go inside.

I stopped in order to look into what may very well be an “urban myth,” which I have heard from more than one person, and which is: that a mischievous painter, when creating a mural inside the church depicting the last supper, included a bottle of our Tabasco Brand Pepper Sauce on the table in the image. Can you tell me if this is true? I suspect it is not, given the seriousness of the location, but one never knows!
Turns out, it’s true.

In May, Bernard heard back from the Rev. DuPré. He called Bernard and told him he had climbed up on a ladder to verify it because the painting in question was 20 feet up in the air, mounted to an arch near the cry room. If there was a Tabasco bottle in the painting, it wasn’t a big one, because the priest couldn’t really make it out from the ground.

But once up on the ladder, he saw it. While there is no inscription on it, a tiny red and green Tabasco-like bottle is indeed set in front of a disciple on the far left.

Detail showing Tabasco bottle. (Source: 97.3 FM The Dawg; Townsquare Media, Inc.)

The painting was created in 2005 when the Rev. Bryce Sibley was pastor of the church, said Rev. DuPré. Supposedly it was Rev. Sibley who had the idea to have the Tabasco-like bottle added to the painting, Bernard was told.

Rev. Dupre took photos of the painting and shared them with Bernard, while also sharing it on social media.

With the rumor confirmed, Bernard said he created a digital file of the information to save for posterity, and then it was back to work.

Bernard has served in his current position with the McIlhenny Company for 29 years. In 1993, he was hired for what was supposed to be only a three-to-six-month gig for the company’s 125th anniversary, but the position morphed into a full-time job and he has been there ever since.

Parks is a village in St. Martin Parish, east of Lafayette. In 2020, the population was 696. St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 1034 Bridge St. The church is part of the Diocese of Lafayette.
I love everything about this.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Art in the News

Post by Biff »

tuttle wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 11:19
Wosbald wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 10:01 +JMJ+

Turns out, it’s true.

Indeed. That's something I'd do.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Art in the News

Post by Del »

tuttle wrote: 20 Jan 2023, 11:19
There is a long tradition of artists sneaking a bit of humor or a personal message into religious art. Michelangelo did it. Carravaggio did it.

It's not a sacrilege if it isn't meant as sacrilege. I am not surprised that the old pastor encouraged this bit of local flavor into the church's mural. We'd all be disappointed if it wasn't there.