Anybody smoke Dr. Grabow pipes?

Pipe & Hardware discussions
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow, purchased at K-Mart before I began smoking and I never smoked it and it is long since gone. Since I have been smoking, I have had many pipes but not another Dr. Grabow. I about a year ago, I found a new in the package Dr. Grabow Omega and bought it. Its still new in the box...I have some really great pipes, but I remember as a kid, I would stand waiting for my mom at K-Mart looking at the Dr. Grabow pipes display...so I think I am going to open the packaging and smoke that Omega...it was like $15 so not a big investment.

I just wondered if anyone else has Dr. Grabow pipes.
Last edited by Bloodhound on 10 Jan 2023, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Anybody Dr. Grabow pipes?

Post by JimVH »

I own a bunch, but really only smoke the POY we did. I went crazy a few years ago buying Color pipes and have a bunch in varying conditions.

All are on my 'someday' project list.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Anybody Dr. Grabow pipes?

Post by Bloodhound »

JimVH wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 12:02 I own a bunch, but really only smoke the POY we did. I went crazy a few years ago buying Color pipes and have a bunch in varying conditions.

All are on my 'someday' project list.
I forgot about the POY...Irish Dane spear headed that if I remember correctly...I had one and never smoked that one either. I sold it to someone on the old site...I regret selling that pipe now now...
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

I have the Grabow POY, and have yet to smoke it. I'll save it for a special occasion now.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

My first pipe was a Grabow Grand Duke. I liked it but lost it.
I have had a couple of others. ALL smoked just fine actually.

Post Aortic Valve replacement, and Post Cancer Chemotherapy, and Post Car wreck, and now all of this urological mess... my advice is...

Smoke the pipe and enjoy it. A pipe left unopened when you are dead will be thrown away as useless by the first non smoker that walks by it.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Post by jmg »

I probably smoke my Grabows more than any of my other pipes. I've made a thing of finding "cheap" pipes that are above average and I've found just a few in the Grabow Commodore line that definitely fit the bill. They are all older and pretty well made compared to any of the newer stuff. I really enjoy them.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

I have an old Grabow Omega. Long-timers may remember it as my "condorized Grabow." It was dedicated to floral Lakeland blends.

It developed a crack in the shank and I haven't smoked it for years. But it still has a special place on the top shelf of my pipe rack.

I brought it down today to inspect for this thread. It still smells like old grandma's perfume, even to my covid-impaired nose.

This is something amazing. Just had to warn y'all that Lakeland Ghosts can haunt you forever.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 20:10 I have an old Grabow Omega. Long-timers may remember it as my "condorized Grabow." It was dedicated to floral Lakeland blends.

It developed a crack in the shank and I haven't smoked it for years. But it still has a special place on the top shelf of my pipe rack.

I brought it down today to inspect for this thread. It still smells like old grandma's perfume, even to my covid-impaired nose.

This is something amazing. Just had to warn y'all that Lakeland Ghosts can haunt you forever.
Yeah, I too had an old pipe with a cracked shank that I wired up with a few twists of ss wire, that I tried a bowl or so of Condor in. What memories!
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by DLJake »

Steverino does. I think he is selling off his stash of pipes too. If you like the Dr. G, look him up. He had many.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

I love Grabow pipes but am unfortunately quite clumsy and they break very easily. I don't currently have any in my rotation. I probably would if they could be found behind every drug store counter as they used to even ten years ago.