Hovannes wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 19:47 I miss FMOTT :(
Right? Just about anything FM
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Tilbury, a disappointing change

Post by ChildOfGod »

ChildOfGod wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 08:46 It had been some time since I had purchased Tilbury, but my memories of it are quite clear. "A Broad-cut Extra Mature Virginia". I recall opening the tin to a broad cut medley of several different Virginias, most of which displayed a nice amount of crystalized sugar content. The smoke was strong and flavorful. That was a reoccurring experience between 5 and 10 years ago. I haven't smoked any in about the last 5 years.

I'd bought my last batch a year or two ago, when the opportunity arose to get some tins at a "regular price", and I just opened a tin yesterday. It was neither broad cut nor mature. It's shag cut! All of it, 100% shag. Which I don't mind, but it's quite the opposite of the description. And not a single crystal to be seen, anywhere! Rather than "A Broad-cut Extra Mature Virginia" as it says on the tin, it's a "Shag Cut rather young Virginia".

It's not a bad smoke, but nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing like the exquisite smokes of my Tilbury past.

I'm left wondering if Germain is slipping or if this was a rushed run for Arango Cigar Co., as the tin states for whom it was blended exclusively.
You may recall the OP above.

Happened on this tin last night. Opened up the tin and inspected the contents: still in great shape, though still not Tilbury ;) Thought to smoke a bit of it and see if it had grown on me at all. Upon opening the tin I noticed a scent that I hadn't before; light but present. Reminded me a bit of the Pembroke cognac scent but a little different; maybe an anisette or something. Loaded up a small bowl and lit. Still don't love it. Very nippy and not very sweet given the VA nippiness - not my preferred sweet:nippy ratio.

However after further tasting and analysis, I'm almost positive this Tilibury tin was mistakenly filled with Cardiff.
Wishing you God's very best!