Why The Darkness

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Why The Darkness

Post by ChildOfGod »

joegoat wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 09:19 Why are so many "non denominational" churches so dark? I'm a recovering protestant and feel that our earthly worship should mimic my version of our future heavenly worship.
Fixed it for you ;)

This would definitely fall under "Christian preferences", though I do think it's an interesting question, and I am not defending the dimming of the lights.

We are all theologians; even non-believers. Each taking a subset of theology offered on earth, or the Bible, and fusing it with what we know and can comprehend or are willing to obey. Each having our own version of this or that. That's not an anti-standard statement but rather an inescapable truth. It's good to have standards. Yours happens to include lights.

Sarcastically: Natural light or artificial light? There won't be any artificial light in Heaven! Better be sure your places of worship don't incorporate that... the thought of it! Shoot out every bulb you see!
Wishing you God's very best!
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Why The Darkness

Post by ChildOfGod »

Think I might have been channeling some "Rusty" right there.
Del
Usher
Usher

Why The Darkness

Post by Del »

joegoat wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 09:19 Why are so many "non denominational" churches so dark? I'm a recovering protestant and feel that our earthly worship should mimic our future heavenly worship. I can't even read the words in my Bible in some of these places.
As long as we are raising zombie threads and resurrecting OP's.....

I just noticed your remark as a "recovering protestant," and how it is to dark to "even read the words in my Bible."

First -- as you are restoring yourself liturgical worship, you understand that worship is time for prayer in the presence of Christ. Not "Bible study," which is a good discipline to practice when we are not worshipping. Ancient Christian worship follows the Jewish synagogue practice of hearing the Scripture read to us.

Of course, I am grateful for the gifts of modern light and wealth that has missals full of the daily readings available in the pews, so I can read along as the Scripture is read. That's fine and good, but sometimes I forget to listen.

On the other hand -- At the university student parish on the UW campus, there is a very popular and well-attended candle-light Mass on Wednesday evenings. No electric; just candles. Lots of candles on the altar and sanctuary. Candles to illuminate the aisles. It is just enough flickering light to make everything more beautiful. And the focus in on Christ coming to the altar, and listening to the words that are spoken. (Also if a phone lights up, everybody notices.) The dim & beautiful candlelight is intentional, focusing our attention on worship. We are so easily distracted.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Why The Darkness

Post by FredS »

Del's post reminds me - - -

Don't assume the lady in front of you who's looking at her phone screen is texting her bookie or placing her grocery order. She could just as likely be following the readings or checking her concordance for a word she doesn't understand. There's an app for that.

[EDIT] That said, I try to leave my phone at home or in the car. Last Sunday, I realized I'd walked in with it so I turned the volume off. Forgot to turn it back up 'till just now. Sorry if I missed your call.

[EDIT DEUX] You know how when the music is rockin' and the Spirit's movin' and the people are groovin' so they take out their cell phones, turn the lights on, and wave them above their heads like a giant field of wheat waving in the wind? I hate that.

[EDIT TRES] We once visited a church and there was a lady sitting front and center. That should have tipped us off, because nobody sits in the front row in a normal church. Anyway, she had a 4 foot long purple ribbon stapled to a stick and she started waving the damn thing in the air during the worship music. There was also a fog machine up front. And they used it. True story.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Why The Darkness

Post by ChildOfGod »

FredS wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 13:22 You know how when the music is rockin' and the Spirit's movin' and the people are groovin' so they take out their cell phones, turn the lights on, and wave them above their heads like a giant field of wheat waving in the wind? I hate that.
Yeah.... cell phone light is also not "natural light" and won't be in Heaven! ;)
FredS wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 13:22 [EDIT TRES] We once visited a church and there was a lady sitting front and center. That should have tipped us off, because nobody sits in the front row in a normal church. Anyway, she had a 4 foot long purple ribbon stapled to a stick and she started waving the damn thing in the air during the worship music. There was also a fog machine up front. And they used it. True story.
At one of the two churches I go to, the one where I play drums, there are preferential things I really don't like in the way of lighting. They don't go as far as fog machines but further than I need. I'd prolly complain if they implemented fog. That said, the praise music is awesome and of much higher quality than you'd think our area could muster - it's really uplifting and encouraging to those in attendance. The other church I attend, and where I'm a member does not have uplifting/encouraging music. I still go, but sort of grit and bear the tunes for the sake of other worshipful aspects of the service (confessional readings, prayers of repentance, etc.).