The Garden Thread 2023

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by jmg »

Squash is coming in gang busters. But that's pretty typical. It's always the first to produce and the first to stop producing. This photo is only two days of harvest, and I had given away a full walmart sack full already. I have probably 20-30 little cucumbers about 2" long on the vine, but for some reason this one decided to jump ahead of the pack. The zucchini is just starting to produce. I think I planted it too close to each other (though I planted the squash too close as well, but it doesn't give a crap.) And I cut back my oregano today and have tied it in bunches and hung it on the kitchen wall to dry out slowly...Man! Does it smell lovely. This weekend I will probably be harvesting my first batch of banana peppers to pickle! Probably some Anaheims as well.

"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

jmg wrote: 19 Jun 2023, 22:03 Squash is coming in gang busters. But that's pretty typical. It's always the first to produce and the first to stop producing. This photo is only two days of harvest, and I had given away a full walmart sack full already. I have probably 20-30 little cucumbers about 2" long on the vine, but for some reason this one decided to jump ahead of the pack. The zucchini is just starting to produce. I think I planted it too close to each other (though I planted the squash too close as well, but it doesn't give a crap.) And I cut back my oregano today and have tied it in bunches and hung it on the kitchen wall to dry out slowly...Man! Does it smell lovely. This weekend I will probably be harvesting my first batch of banana peppers to pickle! Probably some Anaheims as well.

Well done, sir! :D
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by jmg »

Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

My Zucchini is about played out, but the 'maters are coming in fast and furious!
The Eggplants are bravely soldiering on, I'm not so sure about the peppers. The Bells and Anaheim got badly sunburned.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by joegoat »

I had lots of skips this year as JMG did. No idea why. It was super dry when we planted. I went back and replanted in the gaps. Now I have some uneven rows, but oh well.
My big goof was 31" between rows. I though that's what I did last year, but when I brought the Gravely up to cultivate, I had barely enough room to get between the rows so I'm using a little 2 cycle tiller for weed control. You know what they say, "measure the Gravely wheelbase twice, plant once."
Rain has been horrible downpours for 15 minutes and then three to five days of nothing.
Had a rabbit chew off a dozen or so stalks of popcorn and a cucumber plant. I shot that SOB last week. The stalks he got seem to be recovering well. The cucumber plant seems to be doing swell too.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

The tomatoes are everywhere now! Huge 4.5" to 5" diameter and they taste really good!
After the past three years of miserable tomato crops, this is most gratifying.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by jmg »

Hovannes wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 20:52 The tomatoes are everywhere now! Huge 4.5" to 5" diameter and they taste really good!
I'm hoping to have some time later today to either can my tomatoes or maybe cook a nice marinara.

My tomatoes, the Romas in particular, are coming in very well. They did much better against blossom end rot than my Better Boys and Cherokee Purples.

Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

jmg wrote: 09 Jul 2023, 10:06
Hovannes wrote: 08 Jul 2023, 20:52 The tomatoes are everywhere now! Huge 4.5" to 5" diameter and they taste really good!
I'm hoping to have some time later today to either can my tomatoes or maybe cook a nice marinara.

My tomatoes, the Romas in particular, are coming in very well. They did much better against blossom end rot than my Better Boys and Cherokee Purples.
Blossom end rot had destroyed my last years tomato crop. I mixed a substantial amount of oyster shell into the soil a few weeks before planting and the rot scarcely appeared this year.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by jmg »

My pea sheller...

Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

The zucchinis are mostly done for. I'll finish harvesting green beans tomorrow. The green beans were kind of tough this year. Peppers are really struggling with this heat wave.