The Garden Thread 2023

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by sweetandsour »

We've been having cool mornings here, and the tomatoes and pepper plants are starting out a little slow. I failed to get potatoes planted; but still hope to plant a small crop of field corn, maybe 4 or 5 rows.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

The last two beds are nearly ready for planting :D
I think one of the beds will be snap peas and Blue Lake green beans, the other maybe corn or melons, or onions, or more chilis .
I have one open mound between the Zucchinis and curly Italians. Since I already have four Zucchinis---two green and two goldens, I'm Zucchini'd out so I need to find a good replacement, unless I get too tired. That seems to be a problem lately.

I also have two very large old terra cotta Mexican pots Suzelle wants off the patio---they're looking pretty bad but still structurally sound.
I'd like move them up against the back fence and try espaliering a pair of ultra dwarf fruit trees. Maybe that'll be a job for closer to Autumn.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

The Blue Lake green beans are in and the trellis up. I also put in some onion sets. The Curly Italians look like they've been peppered with #9 birdshot.
I've been dusting them with Sevin and while they haven't died, I'm considering replanting.
The Roma has quite a few good size green 'maters, but very few leaves. That's puzzling. I've been giving it B-1 to help it out but still very few leaves--but no blossom end rot, which has been the bane of my garden beds last year. The Calcium I added to the soil must have had the desired effect. :D
The green Zucchinis had a few little 3-3.5" babies for me to keep an eye on since they grow so fast.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

This morning was spent among the 'maters since I didn't need to report for Jury duty today.
They are knee to waist high and smell really good in the cool morning air.
I pinched off any branches touching the terra firma to put the kibosh on transmittible soil illnesses.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

We harvested and enjoyed the first Zucchini of the season last night.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

The garden yielded two 7 inch long green Zucchinis this morning.
There also are quite a few Fresno Chilis waiting to turn red. :D
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by jmg »

Cherry tomatoes (can't remember which variety) This is my youngest daughter's plant. Trying to get them to take ownership of at least one. She made the planter box herself, with some supervision...

Romas, Better Boys, Cherokee Purples...

Bell, Tabasco, Anaheim, and banana...

Oregano, Dill, and Basil...

I've scaled my actual garden way back this year. I just have too much going on this summer to try to put everything away at harvest. So, I did very wide rows. Sweet corn, Purple hull peas, squash, zucchini, emerald and crimson okra, cucumbers, and just a few contender bush beans and butter beans...

"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

The Romas are finally getting red. The Zucchini is all over the place and the Fresno Chilis are bountiful. Should I start picking Fresnos or wait until they get red? The Bell peppers, Armenian Cucumbers, other tomatoes, Blue Lakes and Eggplants have all blossomed and set and several onions are poking up through the earth. Everything but those gosh darned Curly Italians.
Except for the Romas, all the tomato plants are taller than I am!
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by jmg »

"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Garden Thread 2023

Post by Hovannes »

Now harvesting the Zucchinis, Fresno Chilis, Curly Italians, and Armenian Cucumbers.
Waiting for more Tomatoes to get red, Onions, and Blue Lake Green Beans to ripen.