Easter...

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Easter...

Post by jmg »

My wife wrote this today. I was encouraged by it and figured I'd share it with you fellas. Not sure if "Theology" is the proper thread for this, but either way...

"One of my favorite things to teach in my Bible classes is how the Bible is very beautifully and intricately connected. It's not a bunch of random stories thrown together because they have "something to do with God." Here is one of my favorite connections that brings even more meaning to this Good Friday:
Most of us know that Jesus comes as the ultimate sacrifice bearing the sins of the world and fulfilling the yearly requirements laid out in the sacrificial system in Exodus and Leviticus once and for all time. However, the fall of man brought death and corruption to the whole earth causing THORNS and thistles to come up from the ground as a representation of the curse the earth itself was now under. (Gen. 3:17-18) When God gave Moses the instructions for Aaron's priestly garments in Exodus 28, He told Moses that a golden plate should be made and stamped with "Holy to the Lord" and tied to the turban around the forehead. In that verse, God tells Moses that this gold plate (worn in the same place as a crown) the priest wears "shall bear any guilt from the holy things that the people of Israel consecrate as their holy gifts." The golden plate bears the curse of the "things" that Israel would offer as a sacrifice- either animals or grains (plants from the ground). We don't think of those "things" bearing any guilt because how could they sin? But the since the whole earth has been corrupted by sin and death (Romans 8:19-21), as products of the earth they have to be consecrated or made holy to be acceptable sacrifices to a Holy God.
So when Jesus, as the Great High Priest (Hebrews 4:14) wears the crown of THORNS (Genesis 3:18) He is not only bearing the sins of humanity, but also bearing the corruption of the earth, redeeming the creation in preparation for the day that God restores the earth back to the perfection of Eden.
What the Roman soldiers thought they were doing as a way to mock and torment Jesus, was actually God beautifully preparing the way for the redemption of the whole earth. Every single piece of this day was intricately designed by the Holy Designer. So when you see this crown, see the sorrow and the shame, but also see the beauty, the hope, and the Victory. He will make all things new. He has already started the process!"
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Sir Moose
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Easter...

Post by Sir Moose »

It's also interesting to note that when Abraham had Isaac on the altar to sacrifice him and the angel stopped him, the substitutionary ram was caught by its horns in a thicket. In other words, the substitutionary sacrifice had a crown of thorns around its head.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Easter...

Post by jmg »

Sir Moose wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 05:50 It's also interesting to note that when Abraham had Isaac on the altar to sacrifice him and the angel stopped him, the substitutionary ram was caught by its horns in a thicket. In other words, the substitutionary sacrifice had a crown of thorns around its head.
Very cool.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden