Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Microsoft

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

I saw this:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...ebf4fdb7&ei=14

I try to keep up with what's happening in Yosemite and haven't heard of this directive from the folks up there.
Nor does it make any sense.
How does one distinguish between a ranger made cairn and a visitor made Cairn?
Only a ranger can do that, so rationally only a ranger should remove a cairn.

I've had the fun of being a member of a SAR unit for 18 years that operated up there and when you get into the high granite, even well established trails can sometimes get difficult to follow, so the existence of cairns can definitely help hikers unfamiliar with the area.

I've seen nothing to corroborate this from the NPS media resources
And what about antiquities regulations, if a cairn were constructed by native American pathfinders predating the NPS?
The indigenous history of cairns predates the NPS and I don't doubt that some in the Sierra go back to original native trade routes.
Since cairns are constructed of immediately locally source rock and can be easily toppled, they can certainly not be considered permanent structures IMHO.

What's going on here?

In case you're unfamiliar with what a cairn is:
https://bearfoottheory.com/what-are-rock-cairns/

FWIW there still exist blazes cut by the Cavalry back when they patrolled the park, into trees to mark routes, and on some year-round trails, if you look up a tree trunk about 10-16' you'll see a vintage CA license plate nailed up to show the way for travelers in snow----the reflective metal helps pick up the beam from a flashlight at night. You can find the cavalry blazes thoughout the park but the license plates were removed from designated wilderness areas, IIRC.
In other parts of the country natives would bend saplings into contortions to point the way as they grew into mature trees.

There's a lot of History to overland navigation and none of it requires batteries (unless you're trying to locate CA license plates at night)
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

Your first link doesn't go to the article you refer to (for me at least), but I presume it's about prohibiting hikers from building cairns or encourages others to knock them down.

I belong to a number of trout fly fishing groups and I sometime post pictures of cairns I make. I've been accused of "destroying the ecosystem". Most often by young punks who have no idea that nature rearranges herself all the time or how it happens. I intentionally build them as balanced assemblies, not piles that will remain for generations. The next high tide, spring run-off, or thunderstorm will scatter my cairns. Plus, it won't hurt my feelings if you come along an hour after me and kick them down if that floats yer boat.

Rhode Island coast

Texas hill country

Wyoming's Tensleep Creek
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Post by jmg »

I don't buy that stacking some rocks is detrimental to the environment. Seems almost silly to me.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

I’m a little slow. What does stacking rocks have to do with Microsoft?
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
gaining_age
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by gaining_age »

Cairner FredS?
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

JimVH wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 23:02 I’m a little slow. What does stacking rocks have to do with Microsoft?
Microsoft---MSNBC---- ran the content telling visitors to knock down the cairns.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

Hovannes wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 05:48
JimVH wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 23:02 I’m a little slow. What does stacking rocks have to do with Microsoft?
Microsoft---MSNBC---- ran the content telling visitors to knock down the cairns.
Duh. My bad.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

JimVH wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 10:02
Hovannes wrote: 18 Jul 2023, 05:48
Duh. My bad.
No, Microsoft bad.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

You might get away with weird stuff in the Texas Hill Country around Austin, and other places, but I don't think I'd want to get caught doing things like that in east Texas.

ANyway, when I see the word cairn I think of sea salt.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

FredS wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 14:08 I've been accused of "destroying the ecosystem". Most often by young punks who have no idea that nature rearranges herself all the time or how it happens. I intentionally build them as balanced assemblies, not piles that will remain for generations. The next high tide, spring run-off, or thunderstorm will scatter my cairns. Plus, it won't hurt my feelings if you come along an hour after me and kick them down if that floats yer boat.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson