Plain ole tobacco...

Questions, Reviews, Storage, anything about `baccy
Del
Usher
Usher

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by Del »

joegoat wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 07:21 I like the plain stuff too. I started my pipe smoking journey by smoking through every aromatic The Tinderbox had. I will occasionally return to BLWB and Piper's Pleasure from Boswell, but once I stepped into English blends I never looked back. Natural blends just seem to smoke better. The flavor profiles are much more enjoyable to me as well.
I dislike the propylene glycol that carries the aromatic toppings. Results in a goopy wet smoke that sizzles and pops in the bottom of the bowl.

That's what natural blends smoke better.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by Bloodhound »

I have turned into a Burley snob...I never thought it would happen to me...I still smoke English and Balkan blends and I like blends with a lot of latakia, but The week before my wife had surgery, I knew I wouldn't be smoking for maybe a month or more, so I had 3 or 4 smokes nd they were all Dark Fired Burley blends with strong Burley flavors.

I smoke Angler's Dream that has a topping, and Fusiler's Ration with an anise topping. I can and sometimes do smoke a lakeland. But otherwise its non topped tobaccos with a huge leaning towards Burley.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by joegoat »

Del wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 08:55
joegoat wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 07:21 I like the plain stuff too. I started my pipe smoking journey by smoking through every aromatic The Tinderbox had. I will occasionally return to BLWB and Piper's Pleasure from Boswell, but once I stepped into English blends I never looked back. Natural blends just seem to smoke better. The flavor profiles are much more enjoyable to me as well.
I dislike the propylene glycol that carries the aromatic toppings. Results in a goopy wet smoke that sizzles and pops in the bottom of the bowl.

That's what natural blends smoke better.
Yup! Natural tobacco can deliver a range of great tastes depending on how it is grown and cured.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by Bloodhound »

I forgot one, Jerri's Tobacco shop in Denver has one they call Pilot's Blend. It is not sticky or goopy and it is not a hot smoking blend. It has a subtle vanilla taste and a little bourbon comes thru. I don't smoke it often, but I always keep some around and I am told the room note is a little like leather with a touch of bourbon. I should smoke it more, as its the only one my wife has said, "...wasn't too bad"
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by michigander »

I really like GLP Jacknife Plug. It's got a nice sturdy tobacco flavor that is quite satisfying. No frills. No topping. Just tobacco.

Tin description: JackKnife Plug: dark-fired Kentucky leaf and ripe red Virginia tobaccos, with their deep, earthy flavors, are layered on a central core of golden flue cured for a hint of bright sweetness, then pressed and matured in cakes, and finally cut into 2 ounce blocks. Slice it thick and rub it out for a ribbon cut, thin for a shag, or chop it into cubes. The choice is yours.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by MrPiper »

Am I the only person on earth who absolutely could NEVER enjoy Red Virginias? Every bowl I have ever smoked with a component of RV has given me a terrible headache. I gave the best and last of mine to Coco quite a while back and his head seems fine?

In other news, Del I think we should move your post to the prayer request thread. I pray the LORD restore you to robust health and with the fullness of your senses to enjoy the bounty He provides.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by Hugo Drax »

MrPiper wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 17:57 Am I the only person on earth who absolutely could NEVER enjoy Red Virginias? Every bowl I have ever smoked with a component of RV has given me a terrible headache. I gave the best and last of mine to Coco quite a while back and his head seems fine?

In other news, Del I think we should move your post to the prayer request thread. I pray the LORD restore you to robust health and with the fullness of your senses to enjoy the bounty He provides.
Probably not, but you're still wrong. So is everybody else, if that's any consolation. Delightful to me, trash to someone else, just like any other concoction. No absolutes is my motto.
Weenies are us.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by jmg »

MrPiper wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 17:57 Am I the only person on earth who absolutely could NEVER enjoy Red Virginias? Every bowl I have ever smoked with a component of RV has given me a terrible headache. I gave the best and last of mine to Coco quite a while back and his head seems fine?

I like reds alright. However, it's probably the only tobacco that I can notice any measurable change in as it ages. I'm sure saying, "I don't notice much change in tobaccos with age" is probably akin to me being "redneck trash" in the pipe world, but it is what it is. Red VAs, however, really seem to mellow over time. When they are fresh they seem to have a ton of tangyness...sometimes too much for my taste.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Hugo Drax

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by Hugo Drax »

jmg wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 19:52

I like reds alright. However, it's probably the only tobacco that I can notice any measurable change in as it ages. I'm sure saying, "I don't notice much change in tobaccos with age" is probably akin to me being "redneck trash" in the pipe world, but it is what it is. Red VAs, however, really seem to mellow over time. When they are fresh they seem to have a ton of tangyness...sometimes too much for my taste.
My dear fellow, if you think you're "redneck trash," you have another think coming. Harrumph. Snort. If being a decent, God-fearing son of the soil is "redneck trash," well then, we need more "redneck trash" and less "pretentious gits" in this world.

Refreshing to hear somebody actually say what I suspect many of us are thinking but fear to express. Whenever anybody asks me to recommend an English I point them to Scruton or Churchill. I cannot stand latakia. I don't much care for burley, either. It's my tongue, isn't it?
Weenies are us.
Del
Usher
Usher

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 22:26
Probably not, but you're still wrong. So is everybody else, if that's any consolation. Delightful to me, trash to someone else, just like any other concoction. No absolutes is my motto.
Bazinga!