Good bye, Old Hickory

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Good bye, Old Hickory

Post by Hovannes »

Ontario Knife Company closes it's doors after 134 years. Ontario made the ubiquitous Old Hickory line of kitchen knives, among others.
The news prompted me to add an Old Hickory Butcher knife to my camp kitchen box ($10 at my local ACE) today. The Old Hickory Butcher is uncannily similar to the famous Nessmuk camping knife, so I've definitely scored some OFG points today.
But this is sad news: 34 people are losing their jobs, Franklinville NY is losing a historic industry and yet another American company is lost.
https://buffalonews.com/business/local/ ... eeae8.html
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Good bye, Old Hickory

Post by JimVH »

This is sad. Ontario knives are tough, no nonsense knives. I have kitchen, folders, and an Air Force survival knife that have withstood neglect and abuse and still serve well.

Dang.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Good bye, Old Hickory

Post by Hovannes »

I still have my GI pocket knife. It's an Ontario, sort of like a Boy Scout knife on steroids.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Good bye, Old Hickory

Post by jmg »

I have several of my grandparent's OH knives that were left here when we bought their old place. Still used them regularly.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden