April 18 is Tax Day

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Usher
Usher

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by Del »

Time to file your extension Form 4868, if you haven't already.

I'm off to the Post Office now.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by JimVH »

My refund has been in savings since February. My taxes are pretty uncomplicated.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Del
Usher
Usher

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by Del »

JimVH wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 11:06 My refund has been in savings since February. My taxes are pretty uncomplicated.
Mine are hell. I bopped around several part-time jobs. I own rental property. I trade stock options. I took money out of an IRA. I'm a small part-owner of an LLC. I still have to itemize my deductions.

It would be okay if I made serious coin from any of that, but alas.....
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by Biff »

Del wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 21:17
JimVH wrote: 18 Apr 2022, 11:06 My refund has been in savings since February. My taxes are pretty uncomplicated.
Mine are hell. I bopped around several part-time jobs. I own rental property. I trade stock options. I took money out of an IRA. I'm a small part-owner of an LLC. I still have to itemize my deductions.

Supercilious coin is the worst!
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by sweetandsour »

Ours presumably (and hopefully) got e-filed, and our check put into the mail, by our CPA sometime between last Friday afternoon and last night at midnight. So in other words we filed early this year, for us.

I've been doing minor stock trading, but lately am studying about options, mostly the selling of calls. Two friends of mine seem to have it down pretty good, but neither is very good at explaining it.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 04:08

Ours presumably (and hopefully) got e-filed, and our check put into the mail, by our CPA sometime between last Friday afternoon and last night at midnight. So in other words we filed early this year, for us.

I've been doing minor stock trading, but lately am studying about options, mostly the selling of calls. Two friends of mine seem to have it down pretty good, but neither is very good at explaining it.
Hobby traders like to boast about our successful trades -- but we tend to be quite shy about sharing when we lose. Just saying that your friends might not be doing as well as they sound, so don't be jealous. (I lost quite a bit before I got my head straight on risk, reward, and position size. I'm on track to break even in about three years. Don't tell anybody.)

There are a lot of moving parts to option trading, so it's complicated until you get the hang of it. It's way cheaper to pay for a good online course than to learn by losing real money. Practicing for some months with pretend money ("paper trading") is important.

Selling covered calls is about the simplest and safest way to tease some extra return on your stock holdings. The worst risk is that you only get to keep part of the gains if the underlying stock goes zooming up. So I hope your friends are doing as well as they say!
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by joegoat »

I'm so glad our situation is simple. 2 W2's and standard deduction. Owed $4 to the feds and the state owed us a couple hundred. I don't fool with the short term investments. I'm not convinced it's easy money. My long term investments were doing great until right about inauguration day.... I digress.
The best thing about the tax bill that passed under Trump is the withholdings are much more accurate. I don't care for the government holding thousands of dollars for me all year.
Baby Benny showed up two weeks late to be a tax deduction for 2021.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by Bloodhound »

Aside from the daily e-mails I get from the tax software company saying that according to their records I have not filed yet, I did in fact file with their software and system and we already have the refunds in the bank. ;)
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 06:30

Hobby traders like to boast about our successful trades -- but we tend to be quite shy about sharing when we lose. Just saying that your friends might not be doing as well as they sound, so don't be jealous. (I lost quite a bit before I got my head straight on risk, reward, and position size. I'm on track to break even in about three years. Don't tell anybody.)

There are a lot of moving parts to option trading, so it's complicated until you get the hang of it. It's way cheaper to pay for a good online course than to learn by losing real money. Practicing for some months with pretend money ("paper trading") is important.

Selling covered calls is about the simplest and safest way to tease some extra return on your stock holdings. The worst risk is that you only get to keep part of the gains if the underlying stock goes zooming up. So I hope your friends are doing as well as they say!
They just do covered calls. But they always sweat out the end dates for stock they really wish to keep. A buddy lost his Chevron that way, and another still moans about having to sell his Morgan Stanley or some other similar stock. Anyway I am only considering covered calls.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

April 18 is Tax Day

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 06:30

Anyway, I'm currently riding a steep down slope with NVDA, and thinking about selling and cutting losses tomorrow, essentially erasing earlier gains with this stock. Some folks say get out, some say it'll come right back. But I don't care to wait, when there are better buys coming up I think.