Revelation

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Revelation

Post by Biff »

Thought this might interest / bless some...

Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent

Revelation

Post by DLJake »

Fake News. It's:

The Apocalypse of St. John the Apostle
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Hugo Drax

Revelation

Post by Hugo Drax »

Study it and be blessed. Just don't think you understand it--if Jesus doesn't know the hour, neither do I!
Weenies are us.
DLJake

Revelation

Post by DLJake »

Hugo Drax wrote: 01 May 2022, 07:20 Study it and be blessed. Just don't think you understand it--if Jesus doesn't know the hour, neither do I!
The Apocalypse is my least favorite scroll to read.

Maybe I need to speak to my confessor.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Del
Usher
Usher

Revelation

Post by Del »

A Catholic reading of REVELATION doesn't focus much on prophecies of the end-times. Mentions of symbols like 666 and the Antichrist can refer to Nero just as likely as some future villains. Maybe both.

Most of REVELATION speaks to the spiritual battle that happens every time we worship at Mass / Divine Liturgy. That's why all of the scrolls and candles and incense and priests ("elders") are cast about in the vision. And the star of that show is the Lamb Who Was Slain. The choirs of angels sing "HOLY! HOLY! HOLY!" in the vision because that is what was proclaimed during ancient Christian worship, and is been proclaimed at every worship since.

The whole Book is in the language of poetry. It can mean many things at the same time.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Revelation

Post by Biff »

DLJake wrote: 03 May 2022, 15:35
Hugo Drax wrote: 01 May 2022, 07:20 Study it and be blessed. Just don't think you understand it--if Jesus doesn't know the hour, neither do I!

I understand that. It's a tough book. It's also the only book in the canon that comes with a blessing to the reader. Perhaps the Author knew that it would be a tough read and provided a blessing as a means of motivation.

FTR I love the book.
Hugo Drax

Revelation

Post by Hugo Drax »

Biff wrote: 03 May 2022, 21:42
DLJake wrote: 03 May 2022, 15:35

I understand that. It's a tough book. It's also the only book in the canon that comes with a blessing to the reader. Perhaps the Author knew that it would be a tough read and provided a blessing as a means of motivation.

FTR I love the book.
Me, too!

I'm not saying anybody here thinks they understand it, to be clear. I love its imagery and symbolism and it's actually a fun read because it stimulates my imagination.. That said, I always crack up at the doomsday prophecies the whackadoodles get out of it. My prediction? It will all come true one of these days just like the Spanish Inquisition...unexpectedly!
Weenies are us.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Revelation

Post by Biff »

The bible itself says 'study to show yourself approved'. This includes the Revelation

The purpose of the book is stated Ch1 v1
The structure of the book is stated in v19 Past, Present, Future

Jesus chided the people of His day for not knowing the signs of the times, though those same signs were all around them. It is easy to see the nascent events happening today becoming the fulfillment of some of the prophecies in Revelation.

Followers of Christ have great hope for the future in that salvation is sure because Jesus conquered death and hell.

Scholars assign four basic schools of interpretation to the book of Revelation:

Historicism interprets the writing as a prophetic and panoramic overview of history, from the first century until the second coming of Christ.
Futurism sees the visions (with the exception of chapters 1-3) as related to end times events still to come in the future.
Preterism treats the visions as dealing with past events alone — specifically, events in the time John was living.
Idealism interprets Revelation as primarily symbolic, providing timeless and spiritual truth to encourage persecuted believers.

The first two positions are where I stand.