An airhole curiosity

Pipe & Hardware discussions
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

An airhole curiosity

Post by Hovannes »

I've been tending to keep two of my pipes available at any one time. I'm not sure how or why I got into this habit, but since the triple bypass I just don't smoke enough to bother with a typical rotation. Ever so often I'll switch out one pair of pipes for a different pair of pipes (in fact I just did, but that's beside the point) The important thing is that whichever two pipes I have out sees considerable service and the pipes in question are a brace of Peterson 303, one smooth the other rusticated. The rusticated 303 has-been getting the lion's share of attention lately, at least until the airhole got plugged up.
I've been slowly working my way through a tin of Father Dempsey if that matters., The plug was formidable!
A pipe cleaner wouldn't budge it. The pokey on a Czeck pipe tool couldn't clear it. From the bowl, the plug resembled Elmer's Glue which of course it could have been. I've smoked Father Dempsey in other pipes and it never plugged up an airhole before.

Before changing out my brace of 303s, I gave the plug another go with the Czech pipe tool, exerting enough pressure with the palm of my hand to bend the pokey, but the Czech tool busted through and now the airhole is at long last functional.
Now I have two other Petersons to enjoy, a lovely richly grained Bulldog courtesy of a generous CPS'er, and a rusticated straight Apple while the 303s hibernate for the Winter.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced stubborn plugs gumming up an air hole? After over 50 years of mucking about with pipes, this my first experience with a royally clogged airhole.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

An airhole curiosity

Post by Hugo Drax »

That's what for they make drill bits for. Chuck the drill in a vise and twist the bit by hand.

But no, I've never seen this happen in one of my own pipes. Cleaned out on or thirty estates with totally caked up airways, though.
Weenies are us.
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

An airhole curiosity

Post by SlowToke »

It certainly happens. I don't smoke my pipes often enough and have too many pipes in rotation at any given time for it to likely happen to any of my pipes but I've seen estates with plugged airways. When smoked thoroughly to the bottom of the bowl enough, the airway can build up cake similar to the tobacco chamber. As Hugo stated, it's why the senior reamer has a drill bit stored in the handle. Clearing it by hand (not with power tools- bad idea) takes care of it and isn't a bad idea to run through your pipe on occasion if it gets heavy use. The Elmer's glue description of the clog on your pipe is a bit odd though. That's a head scratcher.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

An airhole curiosity

Post by Jocose »

Hey, Hov. My Pete 314 airway is often plugged just as you describe. I keep this bit in my kit and used it a few mins ago, now she’s back to optimal condx.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.