Pros & Cons of Parosmia

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pros & Cons of Parosmia

Post by SlowToke »

Since COVID back in early 2020, I've never gained my sense of smell back completely. I've learned to live with it but it's not all bad. I was thinking about the pros and cons and thought I'd list them out for amusement.

Cons:
Most sodas taste like sulphur. Dr. Pepper and root beer are the only ones so far I can tolerate.
Pulled pork tastes and smells like carrion. (Brisket is okay though so no worries.)
I can't tell if actual spoiled food smells rotten or not (I joke with my wife that this is how I will eventually die.)
Mint toothpaste tastes like sulphur.
Coffee smells like sulphur. (I've adapted to the smell and can tolerate coffee now if I put heavy cream in it- something I never did before. I can't live without coffee.)
Certain soaps smell offensively chemically. (Had to switch from Dove regular to Dove shea butter.)

Pros:
Skunk smells rather nice. (I used to absolutely detest the smell and about went crazy when my dog got sprayed and the house smelled like it for a month.)
I can't smell farts. (On the down side, I can't smell my own. :D )
I can't smell cat spray/scent. (On the downside, I wouldn't know if I or my house smelled like it either.)
PIneapple tastes like ambrosia (I liked it before but now it's absolutely amazing. Weird.)

Anyone else experience this or similar?
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Pros & Cons of Parosmia

Post by Biff »

So ..... you're nose blind?
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Pros & Cons of Parosmia

Post by Del »

Covid took mine out too.

Nothing fun about it. Everything smells like nothing.
Del
Usher
Usher

Pros & Cons of Parosmia

Post by Del »

Actually, I still occasional get a whiff of scent. Just a momentary experience when a new smell enters the area, then it's gone.

I have heard that this is common for post-covid sensory loss. Just one whiff, then gone.

I really miss the aroma of frankincense during worship at Mass.