April21, 1836

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

April21, 1836

Post by sweetandsour »

The Battle of San Jacinto, which lasted 18 minutes, on this date, Texas won independence from Mexico. There have been many changes since then.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

April21, 1836

Post by GaryInVA »

I approve of this thread.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

April21, 1836

Post by Biff »

I can't relate.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

April21, 1836

Post by JimVH »

“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

April21, 1836

Post by GaryInVA »

JimVH wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 11:16 Image
Who is Peggy and why does she have that lake named after her?

― Albert Einstein
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

April21, 1836

Post by JimVH »

GaryInVA wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 11:32
JimVH wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 11:16 Image
Who is Peggy and why does she have that lake named after her?
Ha. I'd already looked it up.

“To the Devil with Your Glorious History” https://www.thealamo.org/remember/stori ... -mccormick
Disposal of bodies during the Texas Revolution was a problem faced by both the Mexican and Texan armies. Following the Battle of the Alamo and the Goliad Massacre, the Mexican troops burned the bodies of the slain Texans. Following the battle of San Jacinto, Sam Houston made no provisions to dispose of the Mexicans troops killed in the battle and the corpses remained where they lay. Unfortunately for one Texas woman, Margaret “Peggy” McCormick, the decomposing bodies were lying on her property.

Peggy McCormick was born in Ireland in approximately 1788 and immigrated to Stephen F. Austin’s colony with her husband Arthur McCormick and their two sons around 1823. The couple was granted a league of land on the south side of Buffalo Bayou at the junction of the bayou and the San Jacinto River. Arthur died in 1824 leaving Peggy to manage the land with the help of her sons.

In April of 1836, as the Mexican Army was advancing across Texas, Peggy and her sons fled from their land as part of the Runaway Scrape. When they returned a few days after the Battle of San Jacinto, the family found that not only was their corn crop and livestock — more than 230 animals — gone, consumed by both the Mexican and Texan armies, but that their property was littered with the bodies of hundreds of Mexican soldiers. The sight was one that Peggy said would haunt her for the rest of her life. Horrified by the state of her home, Peggy traveled to Sam Houston’s camp to demand that he remove the rotting, smelling corpses.

Houston refused to move the bodies, and instead tried to impress upon McCormick the significance her land now held as the site of Texas independence. McCormick, unimpressed with Houston’s blustering, replied, “To the devil with your glorious history! Take off your stinking Mexicans.” Houston again refused. According to Robert Hancock Hunter, Houston wanted to make Santa Anna bury the bodies but he would not do so. With no other choice, Peggy McCormick and her two sons buried the bodies themselves.

Peggy continued to live her property, growing it to one of the largest cattle operations in Harris County. Unfortunately, most of her land was stolen from her through an unscrupulous land resurvey that was not uncovered until after her death in 1854. Houston’s words to Peggy McCormick, that her land would become a historic site well remembered for its role in Texas history was prophetic. Today the site is part of the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site. One of the lakes on the property was renamed “Peggy’s Lake” in honor of this remarkable Texas woman.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

April21, 1836

Post by GaryInVA »

The More You Know

― Albert Einstein
Sir Moose
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

April21, 1836

Post by Sir Moose »

In the spirit of the thread, Tara Ross's 'This Day in History' post on the subject...

This Day in History: Texans win independence at San Jacinto