The OFG Shaving Soap

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by Jocose »

I was super bummed to learn that Williams Mug Shaving Soap was discontinued. I used to shave with a straight razor years ago and Williams had a lovely lemony/bug spray scent along with a rich lather.

I have returned to DE razor which is easier to deal with vs a Straight Razor.

I picked up some Van Hager? shave soap but it has no scent although the lather is quite good.

I have some old school Akron soap on the way and the reviews I’ve read are promising.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by Bloodhound »

I always thought it would be cool to shave with a straight razor, and even bought one...I quickly realized that the learning curve is steep and the maintenance and equipment are an unexpected expense and chore. So I too use a double edged Gillette "Fat Boy" from the late 1950s. I use a mug soap and brush and have been doing so for the last 15 or so years.

I started with Ogallala Bay Rum Shaving Soap...It is very good and I really like it and their other products. But after a while Penny confessed that the scent reminded her of her father and grandfather...not what I was going for in the romance department. I tried some of the different scents that Ogallala offered...all to the same result because their scents are all based on Bay Rum as a base.

Then Penny and I went to Santa Fe for a long weekend, and while there we stumbled upon Santa Fe Soap Ranch products, their sales shop is in the little mall as you leave the Loretto Chapel, where the miraculous staircase is located. They have a great line up and Penny liked many of their scents. I normally use Bourbon/Vanilla or Tobacco/Caramel (The tobacco does not smell like tobacco, it is based on the flower that tobacco plants produce). The soap is crafted locally in Santa Fe and I also use their beard oil. I order most times on-line, but we have stocked up the next two times we visited Santa Fe. I really like their products and more important Penny likes their products. They also have bath and hand and body products.

https://www.santafesoapranch.com/

I highly recommend them. And if you ever get to Santa Fe...you should go to the Loretto Chapel to see the staircase!
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by Biff »

Real men don't shave.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Yohanan
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by Yohanan »

Biff wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 16:09 Real men don't shave.
Real Men Dry shave.
***Smoke What You Like, and Like What You Smoke, No Matter What Anyone Else Thinks!!!***
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by Jocose »

Yohanan wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 18:10
Biff wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 16:09 Real men don't shave.
Real Men Dry shave.
I laughed way too much at this ..
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by sweetandsour »

Bloodhound wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 08:35 I always thought it would be cool to shave with a straight razor, and even bought one...I quickly realized that the learning curve is steep and the maintenance and equipment are an unexpected expense and chore. So I too use a double edged Gillette "Fat Boy" from the late 1950s. I use a mug soap and brush and have been doing so for the last 15 or so years.

I started with Ogallala Bay Rum Shaving Soap...It is very good and I really like it and their other products. But after a while Penny confessed that the scent reminded her of her father and grandfather...not what I was going for in the romance department. I tried some of the different scents that Ogallala offered...all to the same result because their scents are all based on Bay Rum as a base.

Then Penny and I went to Santa Fe for a long weekend, and while there we stumbled upon Santa Fe Soap Ranch products, their sales shop is in the little mall as you leave the Loretto Chapel, where the miraculous staircase is located. They have a great line up and Penny liked many of their scents. I normally use Bourbon/Vanilla or Tobacco/Caramel (The tobacco does not smell like tobacco, it is based on the flower that tobacco plants produce). The soap is crafted locally in Santa Fe and I also use their beard oil. I order most times on-line, but we have stocked up the next two times we visited Santa Fe. I really like their products and more important Penny likes their products. They also have bath and hand and body products.

I highly recommend them. And if you ever get to Santa Fe...you should go to the Loretto Chapel to see the staircase!
We've been there to the Loretto Chapel in SF; I was trying to locate a pic or two but can't immediately find them. I'll have to order some of the Soap Ranch products, I've been looking for some decent shave soap.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by MrPiper »

We had a really good thread about this subject on the old site. (Oh how sad we have lost ALL of the info and memories of Rusty)

None the less, I have been using an English Rooney D/E razor for well over 20 years. I tend to keep buying "Shark" super chrome blades. A pack of 100 is still only about $10.00 and that lasts me about 2 years!

Also have a "Super Badger" brush from Rooney as well.

They have long gone under, sadly, but you can still get very similar product from Ebay.
Del
Usher
Usher

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by Del »

It is time to remember Ogallala Bay Rum!

These are great soaps and aftershaves -- largely because the company was founded and products invented by John Marquis, a real, live OFG. He has built a family business in Ogallala, Nebraska. I even visited him as I was passing through, some years ago.

One year, John sent me a whole bunch of samples to hand out to CPS guys at Chicago Pipe Show.

His bath bars and shaving soaps are shea-butter based, premium quality. But it's the custom scents from real essential oils that are so special.

https://ogallalabayrum.com

John gave up retailing his own products to focus on production. Several websites and a few retails stores carry OBR products (including Just For Him pipes & cigars in Springfield, MO).

A guy named Chuck in Colorado has a web store that focuses entirely on selling the whole line of OBR products. Check these out:

https://bayrum-aftershave.com/best-bay- ... oap/#soaps

Mrs. Del especially loves the "Trail's End" scent.
Cigarson loves Sweet Orange.
Pipeson favors Vanilla.
I like the Sandalwood.

All good.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by Jocose »

The Akron smells really good. I have yet to find the time for the ritual but a definitely looking forward to it.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The OFG Shaving Soap

Post by mcommini »

Bloodhound wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 08:35 I always thought it would be cool to shave with a straight razor, and even bought one...I quickly realized that the learning curve is steep and the maintenance and equipment are an unexpected expense and chore. So I too use a double edged Gillette "Fat Boy" from the late 1950s. I use a mug soap and brush and have been doing so for the last 15 or so years.

Unfortunately, as someone who lives in Santa Fe, I can't use the soap unless I install a water softener. The water here is so hard that you'll get in a good workout long before you build a decent lather. I tend to use wet shave creams here at home and save the soap experience for if I'm visiting somewhere.