Elon and free speech

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Jocose »

Edit
Last edited by Jocose on 30 Apr 2022, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Del »

Jocose wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 20:34TDS?
On a somewhat related note, there is a great deal of misinformation out there.... and a lot of people who don't recognize it as false. For example, people who still wear cloth masks and think they are protecting themselves from viruses.

And I just saw this polling headline from Rasmussen.... shaking my head now.
Democrats Still Believe Russia Changed 2016 Election
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Elon and free speech

Post by joegoat »

If I had his money I'd probably be just as big a pain in the poop chute to the left. I like his style.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by sweetandsour »

I have PDS. I probably get 50+ emails and texts every day from politicians and parties, and there's no way to stop them. I mark phone numbers as spam daily, and delete without reading. They always seem to have "last chance", or "final notice" as the subject line. Heh, I wish.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 03:23 I have PDS. I probably get 50+ emails and texts every day from politicians and parties, and there's no way to stop them. I mark phone numbers as spam daily, and delete without reading. They always seem to have "last chance", or "final notice" as the subject line. Heh, I wish.
There are two reasons why I hope that Donald Trump doesn't run again, and this is the biggest one. I am worn down by all the noise (not to mention the actual violence) that the Left will inflict upon the nation. It will be much worse this time, because their will shock forces are seasoned, ready, and well-rested.

And then Conservatives just add to the noise.... with the constant spam texts and emails and robocalls. There's no escape. Fortunately, conservatives haven't shown much enthusiasm for chaos yet (that ruckus at the Capitol was a fluke), but we will likely see more citizens guarding property with rifles when the rioting returns.

I am so tired of it.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Elon and free speech

Post by FredS »

Thunktank wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 17:57 I’m so thankful that I don’t read Tweets anymore. But now that may change, soon I may once again be subjected to Trump’s Tweets that end up everywhere somehow. But this is how it must be I suppose. We will have to listen to all sorts of views, even really dumb ones. Then they must be confronted and countered with intelligence instead of bans. It’s hard work, and rarely does it help the most ardent of liars who have convinced themselves of their own lies, but that’s just the way it is. The hope is that those on the edge will be swayed rightly by objective truth.
I'm reading The Problem With Pain by CS Lewis. It's thick and I'm going slow. Thunks post about liars and dumb tweets line up with what most Americans feel about free will and free speech. Free speech and dumb tweets are two sides of the same coin. Do you want it or not?

Take this forum (which is a social platform after all), as an example. A fantastic advantage of this place is that we're free to write pretty much anything. We'll surely get called out on our dumb stuff, but at least we can put it out there. If we keep up with the dumb/mean posts the community will either run us off or make it unpleasant for us to stay here. I'm sure there have been a dozen posts on this forum in the last couple weeks that would have been censored by the FB zedbot. With all due respect, Biff doesn't get to read our posts and decide whether it can be on CPS or not. I hope he doesn't want to, even if it were possible.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Del »

joegoat wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 23:34 If I had his money I'd probably be just as big a pain in the poop chute to the left. I like his style.
The best part is that Musk is not a partisan Conservative. He just wants one major public forum to be open for all to speak and listen.

Musk believes that we are a better society when we are free to discern truth and misinformation for ourselves, instead of partisan gatekeepers hushing opinions that they disagree with.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Elon and free speech

Post by coco »

Del wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 06:25
joegoat wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 23:34 If I had his money I'd probably be just as big a pain in the poop chute to the left. I like his style.
The best part is that Musk is not a partisan Conservative. He just wants one major public forum to be open for all to speak and listen.

Musk believes that we are a better society when we are free to discern truth and misinformation for ourselves, instead of partisan gatekeepers hushing opinions that they disagree with.
Old school liberals are often discontent with the new school's totalitarian silencing of contrary opinion. The old school tended to value individual identity and opinion, whereas the new school tends to value group identity and opinion. PostPostModernism is inherently tribal and remarkably intolerant.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Elon and free speech

Post by Hugo Drax »

I'm sure Musk has the best interests of all of us in mind. He seems like a normal, well-adjusted guy to me.

There's no earthly Messiah, boys.
Weenies are us.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Elon and free speech

Post by tuttle »

coco wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:38 Seems like there was some sort of "Elon will save us" thread on the old site.
I think it was called "Elon Fights for Us!"
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion