Elon and free speech

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Elon and free speech

Post by coco »

tuttle wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 07:16
coco wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 15:38 Seems like there was some sort of "Elon will save us" thread on the old site.
I think it was called "Elon Fights for Us!"
That was it.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Del
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 07:03 I'm sure Musk has the best interests of all of us in mind. He seems like a normal, well-adjusted guy to me.

There's no earthly Messiah, boys.
I don't really care about Elon Musk or Twitter.

It's just fun watching the champions of Big Tech Censorship run around with their hair on fire because there might be a big chunk of social media that they can't control.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Elon and free speech

Post by tuttle »

The response to Elon has been extremely interesting. People with the censor button would rather lose money and risk lawsuits from their own shareholders than give up their ability to keep censoring. That, and there may be some other nefarious things behind the scenes they don't want exposed. I suspect that when Elon does buy Twitter, the government will "finally" crack down on social media and send it to regulation hell. Free speech scares tyrants.

As much as I like Musk and his thinking outside the box, especially with SpaceX and his continual poking the woke in the eye, I don't really dig his vision for the future of humanity. Like merging AI with human brains. In fact I think it's downright dangerous.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Del
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Del »

coco wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 06:42
Del wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 06:25
joegoat wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 23:34 If I had his money I'd probably be just as big a pain in the poop chute to the left. I like his style.
The best part is that Musk is not a partisan Conservative. He just wants one major public forum to be open for all to speak and listen.

Musk believes that we are a better society when we are free to discern truth and misinformation for ourselves, instead of partisan gatekeepers hushing opinions that they disagree with.
Old school liberals are often discontent with the new school's totalitarian silencing of contrary opinion. The old school tended to value individual identity and opinion, whereas the new school tends to value group identity and opinion. PostPostModernism is inherently tribal and remarkably intolerant.
I miss the old-school liberals. Their voices have been silenced in the public square, and not by some shadowy Conservative plot.

Bill Maher stands out as a champion of authentic liberalism. And several big-name stand up comedians.

If you trust the polls, there appears to be a sea change among the liberal-leaning families coming to grasp that they have more in common with those Christian Republicans than they do with the current Democrats.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Elon and free speech

Post by joegoat »

Del wrote: 22 Apr 2022, 06:25
joegoat wrote: 21 Apr 2022, 23:34 If I had his money I'd probably be just as big a pain in the poop chute to the left. I like his style.
The best part is that Musk is not a partisan Conservative. He just wants one major public forum to be open for all to speak and listen.

Musk believes that we are a better society when we are free to discern truth and misinformation for ourselves, instead of partisan gatekeepers hushing opinions that they disagree with.
I agree with you. I should have said extreme left.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Jocose »

Edit
Last edited by Jocose on 30 Apr 2022, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Del »

Jocose wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 09:44 Elon trolling twitter, the company he is about to own is kind of the funniest thing ever.
I love the joke that Elon Musk is paying $43 billion just so he can see tweets from Babylon Bee.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Jocose »

Edit
Last edited by Jocose on 30 Apr 2022, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Elon and free speech

Post by Del »

Babylon Bee:

Donald Trump To Share All 278,000 Tweets Everyone Missed While He Was Gone

Snopes and USA Today have announced they will be hiring hundreds of staff to fact check Trump's 278,000-tweet thread.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Elon and free speech

Post by JimVH »

I’m hoping Elon will buy Nashville next and fix Country music.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix