Stuff you didn't know about until now

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

Stuff you didn't know about until now.

The city of Rome was founded on this day 2,775 years ago.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

There's a bottle opener on paint can openers. Never noticed that before. I guess they know painting doesn't happen unless beer is involved.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

Bread stamps have been used in the Western world since the dawn of time, to score bread with small markings that indicate the origin, manufacturer or quality. They may represent a landscape, an animal, an object that is typical of a particular region or culture, or just geometric shapes.

Bread stamps may also have religious connotations, as is the case with this early 20th-century Greek bread stamp made of wood. It identifies the bread as an element of Orthodox Communion, where the loaf is called a 'prosphoron'. Such bread comprises two layers of dough placed one on top of the other and cooked together, symbolising the two aspects of Jesus Christ, both human and divine.

The various motifs on this stamp mark out the different parts of the loaf that the priest cuts into pieces, and then consecrates during Holy Communion. The central segment is the most important as it represents the Lamb of God and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, indicated by the Greek letters ΙΣ ΧΣ ΝΙ ΚΑ (Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά, Jesus Christ victorious). The priest cuts this part of the loaf off first and places it in the middle of the paten (communion plate).

The other segments represent the Virgin Mary (with the letters ΜΗΤΗΡ ΘΕΟΥ on the left, Mother of God), the nine orders of the hierarchy of angels (one triangle per order, on the right), and two additional ‘lambs’ (at the top and bottom) for the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts performed on the weekdays of Great Lent. The handle of this bread stamp has also been engraved and is used to mark smaller prosphora.

https://www.alimentarium.org/en/object/bread-stamp
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Jocose wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 11:24 Image

Bread stamps have been used in the Western world since the dawn of time, to score bread with small markings that indicate the origin, manufacturer or quality. They may represent a landscape, an animal, an object that is typical of a particular region or culture, or just geometric shapes.

Bread stamps may also have religious connotations, as is the case with this early 20th-century Greek bread stamp made of wood. It identifies the bread as an element of Orthodox Communion, where the loaf is called a 'prosphoron'. Such bread comprises two layers of dough placed one on top of the other and cooked together, symbolising the two aspects of Jesus Christ, both human and divine.

The various motifs on this stamp mark out the different parts of the loaf that the priest cuts into pieces, and then consecrates during Holy Communion. The central segment is the most important as it represents the Lamb of God and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, indicated by the Greek letters ΙΣ ΧΣ ΝΙ ΚΑ (Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά, Jesus Christ victorious). The priest cuts this part of the loaf off first and places it in the middle of the paten (communion plate).

The other segments represent the Virgin Mary (with the letters ΜΗΤΗΡ ΘΕΟΥ on the left, Mother of God), the nine orders of the hierarchy of angels (one triangle per order, on the right), and two additional ‘lambs’ (at the top and bottom) for the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts performed on the weekdays of Great Lent. The handle of this bread stamp has also been engraved and is used to mark smaller prosphora.

Coptic Orthodox communion bread is significantly more delicious than Roman eucharistic hosts. Beyond compare, actually. (The Orthodox were on the right track by adopting the use of leavened bread to re-present the Risen Lord, in my opinion.) They freshly bake several extra loaves for worship... all are blessed as offerings. Then the priest selects the most perfect loaf to consecrate in the Divine Liturgy. The rest are shared during the fellowship meal after worship.

I once had the accidental pleasure of dropping in on the fellowship gathering after Coptic worship. (The Copts in Madison used to gather in a chapel at the chancery offices of the Madison Roman Diocese. I had a Sunday errand there.) The priest offered me a portion of the blessed bread. Heavenly!

St. Mark (Evangelist) brought this worship to Alexandria in the First Century. It cannot be improved.

Our beloved Thoth once said that he rated local Coptic parishes by which ones made the best altar bread.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Del wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 19:10
Jocose wrote: 20 Oct 2022, 11:24 Image

Coptic Orthodox communion bread is significantly more delicious than Roman eucharistic hosts. Beyond compare, actually. (The Orthodox were on the right track by adopting the use of leavened bread to re-present the Risen Lord, in my opinion.) They freshly bake several extra loaves for worship... all are blessed as offerings. Then the priest selects the most perfect loaf to consecrate in the Divine Liturgy. The rest are shared during the fellowship meal after worship.

I once had the accidental pleasure of dropping in on the fellowship gathering after Coptic worship. (The Copts in Madison used to gather in a chapel at the chancery offices of the Madison Roman Diocese. I had a Sunday errand there.) The priest offered me a portion of the blessed bread. Heavenly!

St. Mark (Evangelist) brought this worship to Alexandria in the First Century. It cannot be improved.

Our beloved Thoth once said that he rated local Coptic parishes by which ones made the best altar bread.
In my opinion, a wafer cannot compare to baked bread. That being said, the tasteless, mass-produced wafers used by Baptists, Catholics, and Anglicans can hardly be compared to something freshly made by a Grandma back in the day.
"To Make Wafers: Put the Yolks of 4 Eggs, and three Spoonfuls of Rofe-water [Rose, that is], to a Quart of Flour; mingle them well, make them into a Batter with Cream and double refin'd Sugar, and pour it on thin, and bake it on Irons." - John Knott, 1723. (This recipe is closer to a modern cookie; communion wafers would not have had the rose water and sugar, obviously.)
These are wafer "irons" which were heated in the fireplace:

If Wos were here, he would remind me that the taste is not the point.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

But are they ‘wafer-thin’.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

If a receiver catches a pass but then fumbles it into the end zone and another receiver recovers the fumble for a TD, the original catch gets credit for ALL the yardage, the recoverer gets no yardage credit but gets credit for a TD, and the passer gets credit for the TD pass.

The NCAA football statistician’s manual explains it with an example in the following passage in Section 13, Article 2, A.R. 4 (on page 15):

“Team A’s ball on Team B’s 20. Adams completes a pass to Allen, who fumbles at the 10. The ball rolls into the end zone, where Adler recovers for a touchdown. Credit Adams with a pass attempt, a completion of 20 yards and a touchdown pass. Credit Allen with a reception of 20 yards. Credit Adler with no reception and zero yards, but with a touchdown by receiving. Credit Team A with a touchdown by passing and with a fumble not lost.”

I witnessed an example of this last night at our grandson's high school football game.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by SlowToke »

Seems like a loophole for a legal forward lateral if executed well enough.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

SlowToke wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 13:56 Seems like a loophole for a legal forward lateral if executed well enough.
My Catholic grade school football team.... the "forward fumble" was our most successful play.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 16:59
SlowToke wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 13:56 Seems like a loophole for a legal forward lateral if executed well enough.
My Catholic grade school football team.... the "forward fumble" was our most successful play.
Yeah, I'm trying to find a video of it. One receiver caught the pass and fumbled while being tackled. The ball rolled across the goal line and it was a race between the other receiver and at least two defenders, and a mad scramble for the ball. It was pretty exciting when our guy came up with the ball and refs signaled a TD.

Edit again: Here it is ... is this a pretty cool play, or what?

The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.