The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

Biff wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 16:45
Hovannes wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 12:47 What's the difference between a floor jack and a trolley jack, other than a trolley jack is smaller? :?:
One goes on the floor, the other on the trolley.

Yer welcome.
How so?
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

I finally got the rear bumper off the Morgan this morning. I'll probably get the bumpers to the platers sometime in February or March.
I've got to stay within my budget.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

Restoration work on the '24 Model T is now at warp speed.
2024 is approaching, and I've never had a 100 year old car before.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

I filled up the radiator with antifreeze several months ago, and checking the radiator this morning, there wasn't much left.
It could be the hose, or it could be the freeze plugs.
If it's freeze plugs, here's a tutorial on replacing Model T freeze plugs I found:
https://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG87.html
I was wondering what you real mechanics think about this?
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

Not sure who's a "real mechanic" around here. It's a pretty safe bet that you know way more about Model T's than anyone on CPS. But I'll take a swing at the question - - -

The first thing, of course, is to look on the ground where it's parked. You can also let the neighbors dog sniff around under there for the sweet smell of AF. Also, pretty much every external coolant leak I've ever seen leaves a *green drop at it's low point, just before it drips off the engine or radiator so maybe you can crawl under there and spot the clingon and retrace it's path. It should be easy enough to find just by looking at all the connection points in the cooling system (hoses, cylinder head, freeze plugs, petcock, etc) unless the engine is thoroughly covered in crud.

Has the engine ran since you filled it? Did it run long enough to get hot enough to start circulating coolant?

Are you sure it was full? Maybe it's burped a big air pocket and the AF level went down. There's not a water pump or a t-stat, and I think the radiator fill neck is probably the highest point so trapping air shouldn't be a problem, but AF doesn't just vanish.

Praying to the god of motorheads that the block's not cracked.

*The drop would be orange if you used that new fancy-schmancy antifreeze.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

I refilled the radiator this morning. By the afternoon there was a huge puddle on the floor. I still haven't found the source of the leak.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

OK, the bottom of the brass radiator tank, above the engine outlet hose fitting and near the radiator data plate is bright green.
I'm guessing my next job is to remove the radiator and take to a radiator shop for testing.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

Be sure to tell the shop that the Model T has a NON-pressurized coolant system. If they pressure check it like a modern radiator it'll probably spring a dozen leaks.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

FredS wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 10:40 Be sure to tell the shop that the Model T has a NON-pressurized coolant system. If they pressure check it like a modern radiator it'll probably spring a dozen leaks.
Will do!
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

For years, maybe even decades, I've used Murphy's Oil Soap for my car washing needs. It did a good job but I haven't been able to find any in stores these days, so I need a Plan B.
What do you use for washing your car?