The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

I'm restoring a 1947 Briggs and Stratton model WMB and a Gravely Model D right now. Slow going, but going.
The WMB was built by Briggs and Stratton to replace Maytag washing machine motors when they wore out. It's a 1/2 HP 4 cycle with a kick start pedal. Neat little thing. The Maytags were 2 cycle motors and operated on a hit and miss principle.
The Gravely model D is a single wheeled walk behind tractor powered by a 2.5 HP motor. Ben Gravely got a patent on the walk behind motor plow in 1916 and by the early 20's he had gotten a team together to design and start factory production of the model D. The early ones were water cooled and mine is probably from the late 20's or early 30's since it's air cooled. The crankcase was replaced at some point and the S/N wasn't transferred so we aren't sure when it was built.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The Gearhead Thread

Post by JimVH »

Don’t know that this is the place for this, but we found this cleaning out my parent’s house. The Jay he references is my dad. Clayton used to provide the dynamometers to the chain of auto shops my dad ran. We got invited to some pretty cool stuff because of that relationship. Bobby was a very nice guy to us kids ogling his car.
Attachments
IMG_1686.jpeg
IMG_1686.jpeg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 9347 times
IMG_1687.jpeg
IMG_1687.jpeg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 9347 times
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The Gearhead Thread

Post by JimVH »

I follow Mean Mug Pistons on social media. Jimmy is a paint and body guy and artist. When covid hit he started leaning on his art more to make ends meet and he has really grown a lot in popularity. Almost a year and a half ago I got in line with my order and it was delivered today. I'm pretty jazzed.

Mopar 440 piston with a .45 acp cheroot. I'd like to know the story on the piston because there's a chunk missing out of the rim on one side of his head.

Anyway, I'm thinking of naming him Fred.
Attachments
IMG_6652.jpg
IMG_6652.jpg (138.94 KiB) Viewed 9326 times
IMG_6647.jpg
IMG_6647.jpg (113.7 KiB) Viewed 9326 times

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

I'm making a cross beam for my floor jack to put the rear axle of the T on jack stands.
I'm using pressure treated 4x4s for the beam and the upright axle cradles.
A bolt midship will fit into the hole when the pad on the floor jack is removed.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

JimVH wrote:
This is, quite possibly, the coolest thing I've ever seen. Certainly this year, but maybe ever.

(Next to kids fishing. Well all know how much I enjoy seeing kids fishing.)
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

The Passat Predicament.
Last February, not long after getting the Passat service, we were surprised on a mountain pass to find all the idiot lights on the dash flashing.
The owner's manual said to get thee to a VW dealer ASAP, so we did (the closest was in Reno, Nevada) The Service guy told us she was bone dry in the oil dept---not enough oil to register on the dip stick and started to admonish me for being, well, obtuse, until I pointed out that I'd recently had the poor thing serviced. Obviously it wasn't performed correctly ergo no oil in the engine, although there were no leaks and no signs of burning oil.
Even stranger, after the dealer in Reno did an oil change and checked her out, there wasn't any detectable damage to the engine!

Well, we're now 4,000 miles before the next scheduled oil change, and since I've been a touch paranoid about oil---I check the dip stick frquently---, I checked the dip stick this morning and guess what? No oil!. Not enough to even register on the dip stick (sounds familiar?)
Once again, there haven't been any leaks under the car and the exhaust pipe deposits were fluffy carbon, not oily as if she were burning oil.
Fortunately, I had a jug of Rotella in the garage so at least for now we can go places, but what the heck is going on?.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Biff »

Hovannes wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 10:09 The Passat Predicament.
Last February, not long after getting the Passat service, we were surprised on a mountain pass to find all the idiot lights on the dash flashing.
The owner's manual said to get thee to a VW dealer ASAP, so we did (the closest was in Reno, Nevada) The Service guy told us she was bone dry in the oil dept---not enough oil to register on the dip stick and started to admonish me for being, well, obtuse, until I pointed out that I'd recently had the poor thing serviced. Obviously it wasn't performed correctly ergo no oil in the engine, although there were no leaks and no signs of burning oil.
Even stranger, after the dealer in Reno did an oil change and checked her out, there wasn't any detectable damage to the engine!

Well, we're now 4,000 miles before the next scheduled oil change, and since I've been a touch paranoid about oil---I check the dip stick frquently---, I checked the dip stick this morning and guess what? No oil!. Not enough to even register on the dip stick (sounds familiar?)
Once again, there haven't been any leaks under the car and the exhaust pipe deposits were fluffy carbon, not oily as if she were burning oil.
Fortunately, I had a jug of Rotella in the garage so at least for now we can go places, but what the heck is going on?.
You're losin' oil somewhere, I reckon.

You're welcome.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

Biff wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 12:15
Hovannes wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 10:09 The Passat Predicament.

You're losin' oil somewhere, I reckon.

You're welcome.
But where? No puddles. No snail tracks.
Space Alien Rotella abductions?
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by michigander »

It could be as simple as a pcv valve (assuming it even has one), or if it has some kind of oil separator screen in the pcv system, that is getting saturated and you're sucking all the oil through the pcv system.

Check your pcv hoses, (both pull side and push side) for excess oil (if it pours out of the tube it's probably too much).

There could also be a pool of oil forming in your intake manifold (depending on the design).

If this is a gas engine, and it's not too much work, pull the spark plugs and check for oil contamination. I'd be curious if all cylinders are equally fouled.

I'm not sure how the pcv system could be working fine and then suddenly suck a quart and a half (or more) of oil, but it could explain where the oil is going.

I'm assuming that your coolant still looks good and is not getting oil in it.

If it's turbocharged, it could be an Intermittent leak in the turbo lube system.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The Gearhead Thread

Post by JimVH »

michigander wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 15:18 It could be as simple as a pcv valve (assuming it even has one), or if it has some kind of oil separator screen in the pcv system, that is getting saturated and you're sucking all the oil through the pcv system.

Check your pcv hoses, (both pull side and push side) for excess oil (if it pours out of the tube it's probably too much).

There could also be a pool of oil forming in your intake manifold (depending on the design).

If this is a gas engine, and it's not too much work, pull the spark plugs and check for oil contamination. I'd be curious if all cylinders are equally fouled.

I'm not sure how the pcv system could be working fine and then suddenly suck a quart and a half (or more) of oil, but it could explain where the oil is going.

I'm assuming that your coolant still looks good and is not getting oil in it.

If it's turbocharged, it could be an Intermittent leak in the turbo lube system.
Exactly what I was going to say.

You believe me, right?