The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

FredS wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 07:06 That's interesting. I have questions.

- Is the aftermarket oiler top plate inside the vehicle or is it under the floorboard?
Under

- Does the engine set on hard motor mounts? If it's that close a fit I'd think engine torque would make the oiler tube hit the floorboard if the mounts are flexible.
Hard

- I wonder if the Ford Faithful system came with an aftermarket floorboard or a 'bubble' that could be installed over a clearance hole cut in the floor?
Nope.
According to what I've read, there should be approx. 1" of clearance between the oil line fitting in the transmission "door" and the bottom of the floor boards.
The old floorboards weren't original and looked they they were hacked with an ax(!) Closed body Model Ts (Fordors, coupes and Tudors) had different floorboards than roadsters and touring cars so I'm hoping the solution will be fitting the correct floorboards.
Model T engines can certainly benefit from increased lubrication to the #1 bearing and the Ford Faithful is a well regarded aftermarket accessory---in fact it's still being marketed!
The very notion of trying to shim the body to add clearance kind of makes my brain hurt.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

Hovannes wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 09:48

- Is the aftermarket oiler top plate inside the vehicle or is it under the floorboard?
Under

- Does the engine set on hard motor mounts? If it's that close a fit I'd think engine torque would make the oiler tube hit the floorboard if the mounts are flexible.
Hard

- I wonder if the Ford Faithful system came with an aftermarket floorboard or a 'bubble' that could be installed over a clearance hole cut in the floor?
Nope.
According to what I've read, there should be approx. 1" of clearance between the oil line fitting in the transmission "door" and the bottom of the floor boards.
The old floorboards weren't original and looked they they were hacked with an ax(!) Closed body Model Ts (Fordors, coupes and Tudors) had different floorboards than roadsters and touring cars so I'm hoping the solution will be fitting the correct floorboards.
Model T engines can certainly benefit from increased lubrication to the #1 bearing and the Ford Faithful is a well regarded aftermarket accessory---in fact it's still being marketed!
The very notion of trying to shim the body to add clearance kind of makes my brain hurt.
Thanks. I think I'll drop some 'Ford Faithful' knowledge at the next dinner party I go to. "Oh yeah, the number one bearing in those old bangers is lucky to make it ten miles without the Ford Faithful aftermarket oiling system. Don't know why Henry didn't make it standard."
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

FredS wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 14:32
Hovannes wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 09:48

Under

Hard

Nope.
Thanks. I think I'll drop some 'Ford Faithful' knowledge at the next dinner party I go to. "Oh yeah, the number one bearing in those old bangers is lucky to make it ten miles without the Ford Faithful aftermarket oiling system. Don't know why Henry didn't make it standard."
Indeed!
Going uphill for long stretches really taxes that number one bearing.
Of course the carburetor is gravity fed so there's another uphill travel issue.
The previous owner of dad's T had it figured out with the Ford Faithful oiler and an innertube tire stem soldered onto the gas cap so the passenger could pressurize the gas tank with a tire pump while negotiating mountain passes.
Got to love this high tech stuff!

E.B. White wrote eloquently about the Ford Model T #1 bearing in essay:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1936 ... -my-lovely

It's a veritable glory hole of Model T dinner topics!
Here's proof the Model Ts actually do cover ground:
https://aeon.co/videos/its-a-journey-in ... -in-winter
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

My Ford Faithful Oiling System mystery is solved! :dance:
I had the old floorboards on the work bench and had the new floorboards sitting in the car, thinking to myself I'll either shim the body or just put the old floorboards back in. Replumbing wasn't an option because the new floorboards wouldn't even clear the transmission door!

I decided to try one more thing---hidden in some nooks and crannies, pieces of old wooden ruler had been glued and tacked on to the flange that holds the floorboards as a "shim", and a piece of the old indoor/outdoor carpet was still glued on the passenger side of the cowl, so I figured I'd start with the blank canvas, so to speak, and try fitting the new boards one final time. I pulled up the tacks and fragments of wood ruler, and removed the remaining piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting, and, as Gomer would say:
Shazam! The new floorboard fit precisely as the should!

A little paint and install the trim and I can call the front floorboards "good."
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by michigander »

I was at The Henry Ford Museum and saw their exploded Model T. It made me think of this thread. There's really not much to these cars.
20230118_110327.jpg
20230118_110327.jpg (171.25 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
20230118_110309.jpg
20230118_110309.jpg (237.65 KiB) Viewed 4406 times
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

michigander wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 18:55 I was at The Henry Ford Museum and saw their exploded Model T. It made me think of this thread. There's really not much to these cars.
20230118_110327.jpg
20230118_110309.jpg
That's an amazing exploded view!
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

michigander wrote: 18 Jan 2023, 18:55 Image
Hovannes wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 06:54 That's an amazing exploded view!
I think I saw this in a Laurel & Hardy movie. Probably at Shakey's Pizza.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

Next comes an oil change.
The proper gasket for the Model T oil drain plug can be either copper cased fiber, or fiber----either is historically accurate.
I just have to make up my mind which.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

Henry Ford's first and last race