The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The Gearhead Thread

Post by JimVH »

joegoat wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 21:22 I had a pretty worn out Gravely sickle bar attachment that wasn't worth repairing so I dug it out of the shed and got out the angle grinder. The cutaway is now complete! The sickle bar is a pretty interesting design.
I also had a hood that had broken hinge points so it got dressed up a bit an added to the Gravely shrine.
Very cool, Joe. Very cool.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

JimVH wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 22:13
joegoat wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 21:22 I had a pretty worn out Gravely sickle bar attachment that wasn't worth repairing so I dug it out of the shed and got out the angle grinder. The cutaway is now complete! The sickle bar is a pretty interesting design.
I also had a hood that had broken hinge points so it got dressed up a bit an added to the Gravely shrine.
Very cool, Joe. Very cool.
Thank you. I enjoy keeping old stuff alive. Thanks be to God for my very understanding wife!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

Finally decided to get my 1981 Honda ATC200 back on the trail. Rebuilt the carb and put on a new gas tank and she runs great. Super simple machines to repair. The original front tire was dry rotted and flat. A new tire is $110 a inner tube is $25, so of course I tried the tube. As soon as I got everything back on the bike the tire started to slowly split. I thought an alien was going to pop out. Anyway, the new tire should be here today and we'll be good to go. I can't begin to count the times I and my family members have wrecked this thing, but I think - at 60 years old - I may finally be old enough to ride it responsibly.

If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

FredS wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 06:17 Finally decided to get my 1981 Honda ATC200 back on the trail. Rebuilt the carb and put on a new gas tank and she runs great. Super simple machines to repair. The original front tire was dry rotted and flat. A new tire is $110 a inner tube is $25, so of course I tried the tube. As soon as I got everything back on the bike the tire started to slowly split. I thought an alien was going to pop out. Anyway, the new tire should be here today and we'll be good to go. I can't begin to count the times I and my family members have wrecked this thing, but I think - at 60 years old - I may finally be old enough to ride it responsibly.

Seeing that old thing makes the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. Good job fixing it up though.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

FredS wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 06:17 Finally decided to get my 1981 Honda ATC200 back on the trail. Rebuilt the carb and put on a new gas tank and she runs great. Super simple machines to repair. The original front tire was dry rotted and flat. A new tire is $110 a inner tube is $25, so of course I tried the tube. As soon as I got everything back on the bike the tire started to slowly split. I thought an alien was going to pop out. Anyway, the new tire should be here today and we'll be good to go. I can't begin to count the times I and my family members have wrecked this thing, but I think - at 60 years old - I may finally be old enough to ride it responsibly.
The old three wheelers are cool!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

sweetandsour wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 18:48
FredS wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 17:16 I would have guessed the problem is in the charging system also. I'd check it with a multimeter even though the dash gauge reads 14V.

The thing about those jump starter battery packs is that they don't last all that long either. 4 or 5 years is the best I've ever got. I ditched them and went back to jumper cables.
It wasn't/isn't the charging system, per my multimeter. Thanks for the guidance on the jump starter pack, I intend to keep jumper cables also, and hope I never use them. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to use any cables before last Thursday.
Anyway, all has been normal since Thursday, but I checked and re-tightened all connections this afternoon anyway.
I bought a battery pack, asking the clerk if it was already good to go. Sure it is. SO, today I saw a guy in the pharmacy parking lot with hood up and I asked if he needed a jump. I sure do he said. Great! I get to try out my new battery pack jump starter. We unwrapped the cellophane and opened the box, and the thing was dead as the battery we intended to jump. Ever get hit with a pile of sh*t? You just close your eyes.
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by michigander »

The color mismatch between the headlight and led foglights and led light rings on my motorcycle always bothered me. So I finally did the upgrade to led bulbs.
20220830_113522.jpg
20220830_113522.jpg (169.11 KiB) Viewed 64701 times
I had to remove most of the Tupperware to remove the headlight assembly.
20220830_123541.jpg
20220830_123541.jpg (246.67 KiB) Viewed 64701 times
It took about 4 hours, but it was worth it.
20220830_154200.jpg
20220830_154200.jpg (196.32 KiB) Viewed 64701 times
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

michigander wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 02:19 The color mismatch between the headlight and led foglights and led light rings on my motorcycle always bothered me. So I finally did the upgrade to led bulbs.
20220830_113522.jpg

I had to remove most of the Tupperware to remove the headlight assembly.
20220830_123541.jpg

It took about 4 hours, but it was worth it.

20220830_154200.jpg
Nice job! For a moment I thought that was a couch there on the right, and I thought how cool to have a couch in the garage/shop - great to relax and have a nap.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

The color difference between incandescent and LED bothers me too. When I replaced one incandescent bulb with an LED in a can light fixture in our living room it bothered me so much I changed then all. And all the ones in the kitchen, dining room, guest bathroom, master bedroom, master bath, and mud/laundry room. In fact, every built-in light on the first floor. Just being able to look from an LED-lit room into an incandescent-lit room bothered me.

Once at Home Depot, there was a geezer in the light bulb isle (one side of an entire isle for light bulbs!) wondering why "they" made it so difficult. There used to be 15 different bulbs by GE or Phillips and that was it. You could literally find what you needed in 30 seconds. Now it take 45 minutes.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by GaryInVA »

Anyone here recharge their AC system in their car by doing it yourself? Hard to do?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein