The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

The Gearhead Thread

Post by jmg »

sweetandsour wrote: 13 May 2022, 21:36 I took the tire off of my grandsons F-150 and the outer brake pad was completely gone. The rotor was beyond gouged. We replaced the rotor, put on the new pads, but can't get the pistons compressed back in, they're stuck/seized completely extended and we can't budge them, even with the brake bleed stem open. Any ideas? Or should we just buy new calipers. It's another $200 if we replace both front calipers.
C-clamp and a block of wood.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

jmg wrote: 13 May 2022, 22:22
sweetandsour wrote: 13 May 2022, 21:36 I took the tire off of my grandsons F-150 and the outer brake pad was completely gone. The rotor was beyond gouged. We replaced the rotor, put on the new pads, but can't get the pistons compressed back in, they're stuck/seized completely extended and we can't budge them, even with the brake bleed stem open. Any ideas? Or should we just buy new calipers. It's another $200 if we replace both front calipers.
Thanks, but I have an old store bought c clamp thing, plus a regular c clamp with an old brake pad, but we can't budge it. I think I'll just replace the caliper rather than chance that old one seizing again while in service.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

The Gearhead Thread

Post by jmg »

sweetandsour wrote: 14 May 2022, 04:14
Thanks, but I have an old store bought c clamp thing, plus a regular c clamp with an old brake pad, but we can't budge it. I think I'll just replace the caliper rather than chance that old one seizing again while in service.
If you can't budge it with a c-clamp, then it is really stuck. Sorry, bud. I'm not aware of another way to do it without damaging them.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

jmg wrote: 14 May 2022, 13:09
sweetandsour wrote: 14 May 2022, 04:14

If you can't budge it with a c-clamp, then it is really stuck. Sorry, bud. I'm not aware of another way to do it without damaging them.
I agree. I bought new calipers to go with the new rotor and pads. I failed to wipe down the new calipers with brake cleaner however, and when the rotor got hot the light oil volatized and produced some white smoke from underneath the wheel well. All is ok now though I hope.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

Is it a sin to curse the engineer that selected the location for the oil pressure sensor on the 2011 GMC Sierra? If so, then may God please forgive me.
Edit:. Ok I finally accidentally broke the electrical connector, then discovered that my deep well 27mm socket wouldn't fit. I had to go buy a special oil pressure sensor socket for $12, which appears to be a 27mm deep well socket but with smaller diameter body, and some rounded edges.
I've got the socket on, with u-joint, extension, and ratchet, all attached, and I can't budge it loose. I'll get my 16 year old grandson over tmrw to give a try.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

sweetandsour wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 14:56 Is it a sin to curse the engineer that selected the location for the oil pressure sensor on the 2011 GMC Sierra? If so, then may God please forgive me.
Edit:. Ok I finally accidentally broke the electrical connector, then discovered that my deep well 27mm socket wouldn't fit. I had to go buy a special oil pressure sensor socket for $12, which appears to be a 27mm deep well socket but with smaller diameter body, and some rounded edges.
I've got the socket on, with u-joint, extension, and ratchet, all attached, and I can't budge it loose. I'll get my 16 year old grandson over tmrw to give a try.
I don't know if you've heard it, but there's a saying amoung mechanics. "An engineer will crawl over a pile of 500 virgins just to {zederated} a mechanic." It's true.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

Update on the 1949 Gravely Model L restoration.
Attachments
IMG_20220704_154310972.jpg
IMG_20220704_154310972.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 216605 times
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

Not sure I ever posted the final results. This the the Gravely cutaway I was working on. Lots of labor involved, but it came out pretty good!
Attachments
IMG_20220622_145345193 (1).jpg
IMG_20220622_145345193 (1).jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 216604 times
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

That's pretty cool. You should show it at the county fair.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Biff »

Yup. That's cool. Well done, son.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada: