The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Thunktank »

Looks good!
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

FredS wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 06:21 That's pretty cool. You should show it at the county fair.
The one with tires, maybe. The cutaway will never move again. I figure it weighs about 250 pounds.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

joegoat wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 17:17
FredS wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 06:21 That's pretty cool. You should show it at the county fair.
The one with tires, maybe. The cutaway will never move again. I figure it weighs about 250 pounds.
It looks like the cutaway in the living room. Please tell me Mrs Goat said you could display it in the house.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

FredS wrote: 09 Jul 2022, 10:13
joegoat wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 17:17
It looks like the cutaway in the living room. Please tell me Mrs Goat said you could display it in the house.
She did! She's a wonderful wife! A real keeper!
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

Almost done. I need to turn a new set of wooden grips on the lathe, install the throttle and clutch controls, do a bit of welding on the original muffler and she'll be done.
Attachments
IMG_20220712_205814624_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220712_205814624_HDR.jpg (241.12 KiB) Viewed 195563 times
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

Another shot.
Attachments
IMG_20220712_205750527_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220712_205750527_HDR.jpg (243.7 KiB) Viewed 195563 times
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by michigander »

20220714_122640.jpg
20220714_122640.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 195551 times
Not exactly gearhead material, but...

This morning as I was getting on my motorcycle in a parking lot I smelled a dead animal. I looked around at the other cars and thought "some poor baxstard ran over something".

A few hours later in my garage I smelled it again and saw a few flies hanging around my bike. Ugh. I'm the poor baxstard. Bird strike.

It was about 2 days old. I know when it happened. I remember seeing him fly in front of me and not seeing him come out behind me. I guess I should have looked sooner.

It was quite unpleasant extracting him.

I'm gonna need some new bbq tongs.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

The battery in my truck has been dragging for quite a while, and I've had to jump it at least once. So one morning last week when it barely turned over then finally started, I drove straight to a parts store and bought a new battery, and replaced the old one there in the parking lot. It was a 5 year battery, that made it almost 4 years, but I didn't want to mess with it.

So, the new battery worked fine for a day or two, then yesterday I stopped a a gas station and filled up, jumped into my truck, turned the key, and there was nothing. No lit up dash, door locks won't work, windows won't work, key fob was dead, no electricity at all. Just as though there were no battery in the truck at all. So I opened the hood and a guy drove up to the next gas pump, I asked if he had jump cables and he did. (NTS: Buy new set of cables; I gave mine to my grandson.) Anyway, when I hooked up the cables I got a few sparks from my new battery, and I got in and turned the key, and it started immediately, and everything works like there was no problem, as though nothing had ever happened.

What's the deal? Bad connection? It's been a few days and everything is still normal. I'm thinking now that if I'd not jumped the battery, but just wiggle the cables or tapped on the connections, it might have started right up. Anyone else ever experience this? What do you think?
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by michigander »

Is your alternator charging properly? Should be around 13.5 - 14 volts with engine running. Many auto parts stores can test it for you.

I don't know if you're in the desert, but here in the Midwest a battery lasts a lot longer than 4 years.

I've had one last 11 years until my son ran over a curb. Then the car was completely dead. I'll bet those lead plates were paper thin and just turned to mush on impact.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

michigander wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 02:42 Is your alternator charging properly? Should be around 13.5 - 14 volts with engine running. Many auto parts stores can test it for you.

I don't know if you're in the desert, but here in the Midwest a battery lasts a lot longer than 4 years.

I've had one last 11 years until my son ran over a curb. Then the car was completely dead. I'll bet those lead plates were paper thin and just turned to mush on impact.
Batteries here never make it full term, that I've ever seen. But anyway, according to the gauge on the dash, the alternator is charging ~14 or so volts. I'm pretty certain the issue was a connection issue. But what amazed me was how sudden it happened. Everything is fine, then stop and turn the key off for a few minutes, and then everything goes dead, as though there is no battery at all. I'd never seen that before. But one thing for sure, I'm going to get one of those lithium booster starters for each of our vehicles.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.