The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

Hovannes wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 12:44 Dad's 1924 Model T Fordor will celebrate it's 100th birthday before you know it.
It was parked in an old garage 40 years ago.
I figure I ought to get her up and running.
I spent the last few mornings moving junk out of the way and searching for dad's Model T tools (I think i found the tools, but there is still a lot of junk to move!)
I wish my son were in town to help me.
Aside from moving a lot of junk and dirt and vacuuming mouse poop, here's a rough draft of my Order of Battle in no particular order:
1) pull the plugs and put oil in the cylinders
2) inspect the inner tubes---the tubes and tires are shot of course. The issue is if the wheels have been modified to take the currently made tubes, or if I'll have to cut the stems off the new tubes and install the original stems.
3) order new tubes and tires
4) see if the cylinders will move without breaking the rings
5) change the oil, inspect and reinstall the plugs
6) drain any of the gas old out of the tank
7) flush the radiator
8) give her new fluids
9) mount the new tires
10) install a 6 volt battery
11) see if she'll start. If she does, then give her a lube job and go for a drive.
This sounds awesome. I'd like to see a dedicated thread with some pictures and updates. I'd love to see your car.

You're a more patient man than I. I'd move "see if she'll start" way up on the list. Certainly before spending money on tires, tubes, or coolant. The first start of any project is a monumental moment that reaffirms your mechanical abilities. You stand over that spitting and sputtering lump and, as it smooths out, say "Yeah, I did that". Good luck.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by michigander »

Yesterday I replaced the brakes on my SuperDuty.

New pads front and rear, new rotors up front. Put in speed bleeders and flushed out the brake fluid.

It really kicked my butt. The hardest part was getting the front rotors off. The bolts holding the caliper bracket have an interference thead so they fight you all the way out. Then the rotors are rust-welded to the hubs (the joys of living in th rust-belt). So I had to beat on each of them for 2 or 3 minutes with a 5 lb hammer (while laying on my side).

I'm get too old for this. Still worth it in the end.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

I'm really getting enthusiastic about my Model T project.
For your amusement, here's Jay Leno talking about Ts
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

I'm getting infatuated with working on my dad's old Model T.
Like it's appearing in my dreams and I wake up with skinned knuckles.

Installing new tires on the Clincher rims is the next big job.
So far I've got the new tubes, and the tires have been ordered.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

Hovannes wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 05:46 I'm getting infatuated with working on my dad's old Model T.
Like it's appearing in my dreams and I wake up with skinned knuckles.

Installing new tires on the Clincher rims is the next big job.
So far I've got the new tubes, and the tires have been ordered.
Skinned knuckles, sore back, knees, and shoulders, stained clothes, and dirty fingernails make that first drive in the finished product so much more satisfying. There is no destination without the journey. Small bites to eat the elephant.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

The Model T tires and tubes arrived so tomorrow I'm going to put her on jack stands and mount the tires onto the clincher rims.
This should be fun!
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by ChildOfGod »

I've always admired those who are mechanically inclined. I know this isn't "the same" but my son and I got into RC car racing this year, and when it began I didn't know that it also meant that I would become an RC car mechanic. I've had to fix more things than I ever thought could break on an RC car - outdoors in 90+ degree heat. I didn't see it coming and wasn't prepared for it. Total baptism by fire. Things would break during a race, due to no fault of my son's and I'd have just an hour to cobble together a repair, and sometimes I had to be very inventive, when I didn't have the exact part on hand.

Race 'em
Break 'em
Fix 'em
Repeat.
Wishing you God's very best!
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The Gearhead Thread

Post by JimVH »

ChildOfGod wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 08:15 I've always admired those who are mechanically inclined. I know this isn't "the same" but my son and I got into RC car racing this year, and when it began I didn't know that it also meant that I would become an RC car mechanic. I've had to fix more things than I ever thought could break on an RC car - outdoors in 90+ degree heat. I didn't see it coming and wasn't prepared for it. Total baptism by fire. Things would break during a race, due to no fault of my son's and I'd have just an hour to cobble together a repair, and sometimes I had to be very inventive, when I didn't have the exact part on hand.

Race 'em
Break 'em
Fix 'em
Repeat.
Good time. We used to do a lot of that. Dabbled in boats, too. Glad y'all are having fun.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by ChildOfGod »

JimVH wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 08:18
ChildOfGod wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 08:15 I've always admired those who are mechanically inclined. I know this isn't "the same" but my son and I got into RC car racing this year, and when it began I didn't know that it also meant that I would become an RC car mechanic. I've had to fix more things than I ever thought could break on an RC car - outdoors in 90+ degree heat. I didn't see it coming and wasn't prepared for it. Total baptism by fire. Things would break during a race, due to no fault of my son's and I'd have just an hour to cobble together a repair, and sometimes I had to be very inventive, when I didn't have the exact part on hand.

Race 'em
Break 'em
Fix 'em
Repeat.
Good time. We used to do a lot of that. Dabbled in boats, too. Glad y'all are having fun.
Thanks Jim! Doing some winning too: One of us would make the podium in our Novice races every time. Then at the club's big annual event I took first in Novice Off-Road, which was great, but that also gets you "graduated" from Novice. So at the next, and last outdoor race of the season, with his old man out of the way, my son took 1st in Novice Off-Road. I was SO happy for him - he had worked on that all season long.

@JimVH Were you guys in a club or did you hit races at different places?
Wishing you God's very best!
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The Gearhead Thread

Post by JimVH »

ChildOfGod wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 08:30
JimVH wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 08:18

Race 'em
Break 'em
Fix 'em
Repeat.
Thanks Jim! Doing some winning too: One of us would make the podium in our Novice races every time. Then at the club's big annual event I took first in Novice Off-Road, which was great, but that also gets you "graduated" from Novice. So at the next, and last outdoor race of the season, with his old man out of the way, my son took 1st in Novice Off-Road. I was SO happy for him - he had worked on that all season long.

@JimVH Were you guys in a club or did you hit races at different places?
We weren't in anything organized. It was a bunch of hobbyists that floated around to different tracks and parking lots. Some races were organized events, but most were spur of the moment. This was back in the late 80's. There weren't very many track options in our area and I couldn't afford keep up with the travel folks.

Still, it was good times. I've been thinking about getting back into RC boats, but not on a competitive level.

Oh, and I never quite figured out the 'winning' part :) Congratulations on y'all's progress.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix