The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by michigander »

I fixed the washing machine today. The timer wouldn't always advance during the wash cycle.

Now that I know how it comes apart I could have changed the timer/switch assy in < 10 minutes.

Having to fiddle with it and watch a few YouTube videos made it take 45 minutes or so.

Anyway, I decided to take apart the old one to see how this thing works. Pretty neat little piece of engineering. A few moving parts, but no circuit boards. Just the way I like it.
20220902_141205.jpg
20220902_141205.jpg (191.98 KiB) Viewed 35567 times
I suspect these worn contacts are the culprit, but I am too lazy to try to decipher the schematic to know for sure.
20220902_141948.jpg
20220902_141948.jpg (121.1 KiB) Viewed 35567 times
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

Dad's 1924 Model T Fordor will celebrate it's 100th birthday before you know it.
It was parked in an old garage 40 years ago.
I figure I ought to get her up and running.
I spent the last few mornings moving junk out of the way and searching for dad's Model T tools (I think i found the tools, but there is still a lot of junk to move!)
I wish my son were in town to help me.
Aside from moving a lot of junk and dirt and vacuuming mouse poop, here's a rough draft of my Order of Battle in no particular order:
1) pull the plugs and put oil in the cylinders
2) inspect the inner tubes---the tubes and tires are shot of course. The issue is if the wheels have been modified to take the currently made tubes, or if I'll have to cut the stems off the new tubes and install the original stems.
3) order new tubes and tires
4) see if the cylinders will move without breaking the rings
5) change the oil, inspect and reinstall the plugs
6) drain any of the gas old out of the tank
7) flush the radiator
8) give her new fluids
9) mount the new tires
10) install a 6 volt battery
11) see if she'll start. If she does, then give her a lube job and go for a drive.
Here's what 24 Fordor Ts look likeImage
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by GaryInVA »

Hovannes wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 12:44 Dad's 1924 Model T Fordor will celebrate it's 100th birthday before you know it.
I spent the last few mornings moving junk out of the way and searching for dad's Model T tools (I think i found the tools, but there is still a lot of junk to move!)
Aside from moving a lot of junk and dirt and vacuuming mouse poop, here's a rough draft of my Order of Battle in no particular order:
2) inspect the inner tubes---the tubes and tires are shot of course. The issue is if the wheels have been modified to take the currently made tubes, or if I'll have to cut the stems off the new tubes and install the original stems.
7) flush the radiator
8) give her new fluids
9) mount the new tires
11) see if she'll start. If she does, then give her a lube job and go for a drive.
I get to see these every day and they make me smile. I live around the corner from:

https://m.facebook.com/mrsmodelt/
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by GaryInVA »

Troubadour wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 14:59 I have a neighbor who owns a classic Volkswagen Beetle with a very nice matte black paint job.
Air-cooled bugs are my heartthrob.

― Albert Einstein
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by GaryInVA »

Troubadour wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 19:52
GaryInVA wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 16:31
Troubadour wrote: 03 Sep 2022, 14:59 I have a neighbor who owns a classic Volkswagen Beetle with a very nice matte black paint job.
Looks like this without the trimmings. Why air-cooled?

About as basic as a car as you can get. A motorcycle with 4 wheels. You can swap out an engine in 45 minutes taking your time. Always had a spare motor sitting on the bench. Wouldn't even have a radio in the bug as I loved listening to the engine as I drove.

― Albert Einstein
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

GaryInVA wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 07:01

About as basic as a car as you can get. A motorcycle with 4 wheels. You can swap out an engine in 45 minutes taking your time. Always had a spare motor sitting on the bench. Wouldn't even have a radio in the bug as I loved listening to the engine as I drove.
A Beetle, a copy of Volkswagen Guide for the Complete Idiot and a set of metric tools from Sears & Roebuck propelled me through college and graduate school. Great memories.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

michigander wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 11:24 I fixed the washing machine today. The timer wouldn't always advance during the wash cycle.

Now that I know how it comes apart I could have changed the timer/switch assy in < 10 minutes.

Having to fiddle with it and watch a few YouTube videos made it take 45 minutes or so.

Anyway, I decided to take apart the old one to see how this thing works. Pretty neat little piece of engineering. A few moving parts, but no circuit boards. Just the way I like it.20220902_141205.jpg

I suspect these worn contacts are the culprit, but I am too lazy to try to decipher the schematic to know for sure.20220902_141948.jpg
They're pretty simple, but the razor sharp edges on the metal are what I hate.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

Hovannes wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 12:44 Dad's 1924 Model T Fordor will celebrate it's 100th birthday before you know it.
7) flush the radiator
8) give her new fluids
9) mount the new tires
Sounds like fun! I'd love to drive one someday. Seems they operate more like a tractor than a modern car.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

The Gearhead Thread

Post by joegoat »

GaryInVA wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 07:01

I've got a 74 Super Beetle that I did a body off restoration on. Great old cars. So simple!
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

GaryInVA wrote: 02 Sep 2022, 11:18 Anyone here recharge their AC system in their car by doing it yourself? Hard to do?
It's easy enough to add refrigerant to most vehicles. I've done it plenty. Of course if there's a leak (which there probably is) you'll be refilling it every week/month 'till cooler weather comes. But it's an easy and cheap first stab at fixing the cooling system and if your lucky it'll be good for years.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson